Discussion: Your Windows 10 upgrade plans?

Rick Brewster

I'm using it now as my primary OS.  I have VMware for anything that gives me trouble but so far, the issues have been minor and I have been able to work around them.

I'm happy to get rid of 8.1.  They still need to do a bit of work to unify the interfaces but it's looking pretty good.

I'm not planning to upgrade my home machines (using Win7). I'm a Windows Insider and am using Win10 on test machines from early builds. Some builds were disastrous, some better. Personally i don't think it is ready for such an early release, but MS will rush it and will fix it eventually. But i don't see anything of value to me to even consider upgrading. Win7 perfectly fits my needs and it will be supported for a very long time. Win10 on the other hand has some things that i don't like, and i don't want to harm my usability just because its new and "free". At work we can't upgrade for free and updating to a fairly different UI is an investment on its own (users/support learning), so we will be using Win7 for many years. As i use Paint.NET at home and at work (not an artist, just a limited editing here and there), I don't like the idea to cut Win7 users off. Will stop donating to this project then and eventually will look for some other tool (though older versions should probably work for me for some time).

What really matters is the "end of extended support" date. That's what occurred last year for XP. For Windows 7, it's January 10, 2020. "Main stream support" for Windows 7 ended January 13, 2015. It's all part of the great Cycle of Life.

• Upvote 1

Before I test out any new OS, I always image my existing OS partition so I can revert whenever I want. It's always best to do a clean install of a new OS, that means format and install.

Currently I'm bouncing around between Win7 and Win8.1 on my desktop. I'll wait out the pros/cons before upgrading (?) to Win10.

Plane_Sig2.gif

• 1 month later...

I have been reading a lot about Windows 10 and think I will wait a bit before giving it a try. There are still too many bugs for me to feel comfortable about upgrading. It also appears from what I read on it that it is a very intrusive program that attempts to do the thinking for you, something I find very annoying. Although I greatly dislike Internet Explorer which slows down an OS big time, my opinions on Cortana are yet to be formulated. Anything would be better than IE, I would hope though.

I kind of like the looks of Windows 10 and will probably upgrade at some point. Because eventually like I said, we will have no choice. I will try it on my spare pc first which has the older version of PDN on it and I have a Windows 7 disc for it in case I need to switch back. If all goes well, I may upgrade my baby on it sometime later before Windows 7 gets put out to pasture. But I am in no hurry to do either. 

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I'm not happy with the license. It looks like that you have to allow that Windows 10 may scan all your data and sends it to their servers to improve the individual user experience. You may switch this off partially but it's opt-out. And who knows which off the auto-updates in the future will reset these settings. So you may have to check all the time what's the current state.

midoras signature.gif

Upgraded on Thursday. Everything went smoothly , 30mins to download and 45 to install.

I like the new look. Not a fan of the new Windows Update though. I used to check before choosing which ones to install. Now the only option is Automatic.

As for PDN , it looks a bit different with borderless windows but works just as well as ever.

Definitely worth the price I had to pay for it - nothing!

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Since the upgrade, everytime I go to put my computer to sleep.... I instinctively go for the charm bar and do the motion several times because nothing happens..... 

Then I go to the start menu and continue to the right menu. How long will I keep doing it.

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

No notification to update - it just auto-updates and fails with an 80240020 or an 80246010 error?
I've tried the recommended eg."wuauclt.exe/updatenow" trick http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-failed-to-install-error-code-80240020/9d69a99b-1851-4464-b10b-e69946993e78?auth=1

Very frustrating, completely dissillusioned with Microsoft. :( :( :(

1jCon5K.png

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

"Hey Cortana - fix Red's PC will you?" :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear of your troubles Red. That's exactly why I'm not an early adopter.  

My own plans have been derailed. Apparently my Atom based netbook isn't capable of running Win10 (despite meeting the minimum specs & having the installation icon).

If 8.1 is still working - why not wait a while and see if a fix is posted?

No notification to update - it just auto-updates and fails with an 80240020 or an 80246010 error?

I've tried the recommended eg."wuauclt.exe/updatenow" trick http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-failed-to-install-error-code-80240020/9d69a99b-1851-4464-b10b-e69946993e78?auth=1

Very frustrating, completely dissillusioned with Microsoft. :( :( :(

Windows Update Installation Failure 80240020 The answer from a mod there helped my upgrade get started. Just give it a moment after changing the registry because it starts doing some checks before Update shows that the update can be made.

My own plans have been derailed. Apparently my Atom based netbook isn't capable of running Win10 (despite meeting the minimum specs & having the installation icon).

If 8.1 is still working - why not wait a while and see if a fix is posted?

My Atom N270 based netbook is running Windows 10 fine. It's one of the first Atom processors made so if it can, so should others?

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

^^Dipping it in the sea worked! (oh well, no one else found that funny :roll: :D )

Glad to report the successful delivery of a bouncing baby Windows 10! B)
After all the failed installs it eventually got going ok - took about 3 hours altogether (~5Mbps internet).
I was initially worried that Office 7, Kaspersky TS, notepad++ and Krita said 'Not available' - but all working now.
paint.net 4.0.6 updated from my previous version very easily. All seems to be working well - performance seems even quicker!. B)
Some very minor* issues with window titles and padding but generally very satisfied! ;) :bmw: :beer:

(*They could be my fault too - will investigate - HD display :roll: ).

Windows updates are now automatic but there are still choices about what data is shared, default programs etc.
So far, so good. :)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

I won't be using Windows 10. I can't entirely freely pick which OS I use, and even if I could, I wouldn't pick windows 10, which seems to add nothing of interest for me and forces me to abandon the windows classic theme. When paint.net requires Windows 10, I won't be using paint.net anymore.

I upgraded and loved windows 10.

Me too :D only thing is that I am not sure if I can save Excel files as PDF for the whole workbook & if everyone else will be able to open it. I will test it out & hope for the best. Like this one better than 8.1 so far :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 1 month later...

Upgraded my desktop from 8.1 to 10. Kept Win 7 on my laptop.

I thought I'd try and see if the forum likes Edge better than IE but no luck. It looks like I have to keep using Firefox in order to post on this forum.

Xkds4Lh.png

After some initial trouble (I had to reinstall a lot of drivers) Windows 10 works. But in my opinion in its current state it is clearly inferior to Windows 8 (which I liked and worked for me, once I accustomed to the new look).

The only thing better in Windows 10 than in 8 that I can think of right now is that the OneDrive app finally allows to sync shared folders.

In contrast, they removed features which I liked and miss now for example syncing of settings (e.g. Start Screen, Favorites in Edge, Mail Settings, etc.) was almost completely removed which is a shame and a pain when using multiple devices.

I'm not using too many apps, but the ones I use (Mail, sometimes Edge) seem unfinished, beta at best and lack essential features like Drag'n'Drop support. The Edge browser is one big disappointment. It could have been great but it isn't. As mentioned before, it doesn't sync favorites, doesn't support Drag'n'Drop and no one knows when the promised Extension Support will arrive. Password-saving and auto-fill works sometimes, sometimes not.

My batch Image Processor: https://imagenator.codeplex.com

I'm not using too many apps, but the ones I use (Mail, sometimes Edge) seem unfinished, beta at best and lack essential features like Drag'n'Drop support. The Edge browser is one big disappointment. It could have been great but it isn't. As mentioned before, it doesn't sync favorites, doesn't support Drag'n'Drop and no one knows when the promised Extension Support will arrive. Password-saving and auto-fill works sometimes, sometimes not.

I agree, also after using Mail for the first time, I suddenly find my inbox flooded with spam. I also don't like the constant having to verify my account, especially when i use my outlook password to log onto my PC on start up.

Aside from that I do like a lot of the features and it's good to see a start menu of sorts (if a little bulky)  

HFuQlot.png

I've upgraded from 7 to 10.

Absolutely no drama upgrading. I'm liking 10.