Card Image

Betty Boop

I am totally new to this, but I would like to make an image that looks like a greeting card. So the picture would be on the front, and you could just see the top edge of the inside of the card, like it was just open a little ways. I can't quite figure out how you make two layers that do not overlay each other. I tried using the tutorial for the 3D picture cube, but I had the same problem. When I imported the second layer, it took up the whole canvas space, and when I tried to change the size of the image, it changed both layers. Could someone point me in the right direction?

It is possible that you're trying to change the canvas size...in which case it changes the size of the entire image. Import the second layer, press Ctrl+A to select everything, and then press the M key (move). You should then be able to resize just that layer's info. Hope this helps! :)

Actually, The_Lionhearted, the Resize tool does resize the whole image, selection or no selection. You have to select the layer, then use Rotate/Zoom (under the Layers tab) to zoom that layer out to the degree you want.

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Actually, The_Lionhearted, the Resize tool does resize the whole image, selection or no selection. You have to select the layer, then use Rotate/Zoom (under the Layers tab) to zoom that layer out to the degree you want.

Whoops, I meant to say you can click and drag to resize...not use the resize tool. :)

That's true, and probably a better method, too. He's talking about shift-clicking the selection on one of the nubs and dragging. It keeps the ratio of height/width intact while resizing.

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Thank you all so much. I think I have what I need now. Do you guys get all this knowledge just by playing with it? The tutorials are very helpful. Thanks again.

Okay. I think I almost have it, but I am having trouble getting the bottom corners to match. Were your pictures different sizes to begin with? Or how do you make the oblique image match up with the bottom image at the corner without covering the bottom image? Also, is there a way to save just the card without any background? I want to use multiple images in a .swf movie and the background would be the movie background.

Put oblique image on a layer, bottom image on another. To move one of them select the layer and press M then click on the image. Use the arrows keys to move it (or panneling effect). Use the nubs (click-drag to resize to fit images each over).

The background I put is a gradient to enlight the white bottom page. I also added shadow. You could use what you want instead!