Incorrect Color Values

iamnoob

I've noticed this for awhile now: PDN almost always adds or subtracts one saturation/lightness/etc. point from what you select.

For example, say I change a green color's saturation to 50 and then add it to my canvas; if I select a different color first(this seems to "reset" it somehow) and then re-select that green color, chances are it will display either 49/51 saturation instead of the 50 I chose.

This happens almost always and should be easy to reproduce.

You have to know that Paint.NETs internal color representation is RGB. There is always a rounding problem converting HSV -> RGB -> HSV.

• Upvote 1

midoras signature.gif

You have to know that Paint.NETs internal color representation is RGB. There is always a rounding problem converting HSV -> RGB -> HSV.

So, this actually isn't a bug and there's no way to "fix" it?

Correct.

There is no 1:1 correlation from RGB to HSV. The results of conversion contain many decimal places which need to be rounded to integers. This process happens automatically and there is no way to 'force' paint.net to use the HSV values.

Correct.

There is no 1:1 correlation from RGB to HSV. The results of conversion contain many decimal places which need to be rounded to integers. This process happens automatically and there is no way to 'force' paint.net to use the HSV values.

I see.

If I printscreen a color off the internet that is listed as having a specific amount of saturation/brightness/etc., paste into PDN, use the color picker and the values are displayed as something else, am I not getting the same exact color from the internet? I mean, it looks the same to me, but the values are different(and not just by one point, sometimes by several), so I'm just curious.

Monitors interpret colors differently, so your view of an image on the internet might be different from mine.

Consider that my monitor lives in a fairly dim room. I have the Brightness set down slightly from the default. If I had a lot of ambient light I may need to turn the brightness up a little more. Imagine what this does to an image I view from the internet.

There are different color spaces to consider. 8-bit, 16-bit RGB and CYMK. All are valid and all can be used to create an image.

No you're not going to get the same "internet" color - there is no such thing. Even your RGB's are bound to be slightly different to mine and everyone else's.

If you really need this level of accuracy you would be better working in the CYMK color space with something like PS.