Restoring lost windows

Ego Eram Reputo

It's bound to happen sooner or later. You're working away on your latest masterpiece, then BAM! A window in paint.net disappears!

RLW1.png

Lawks!

What to do?? Quick - do this.....Use the function keys F5 to F8 to toggle the missing window back into view.  So which function key does what?

To restore the Tools Window

RLW2.png

To restore the History Window

RLW3.png

To restore the Layers Window

RLW4.png

To restore the Colors Window

RLW5.png

But WAIT!  There's more!

Seen these icons in the top right corner of paint.net's main window?

RLW6.png

These do the same job as the function keys.  Click the appropriate icon to toggle the visibility of the Utility Window.

RLW7.png

IF ALL ELSE FAILS...

If none of these tricks bring back your windows and you're using v4.0.10+...

You can now hold Ctrl+Shift while clicking on the window icons in order to reset their location and docking. Ctrl+Shift along with the appropriate hotkey (F5, F6, F7, F8) also does the trick.

Now you can relax and get on with finishing that amazing thing you were working on!

Edited by toe_head2001
Fixed broken Postimg images
  • Upvote 3

I have a bit of a 1%er screen setup - dual WQXGA + single WQHD screen. One thing I'm finding is I'm constantly 'losing' the palettes when I move the main pdn window around. It actually becomes a bit of a pain to scan around all screen to try to find them (sometimes it is physically over a metre away). First world problems right?

Just wondering is there any ability to gather the palettes to the main window, force dock to the window, embed them in the menubar or any other mechanisms I may be able to use to more easily keep them with the main window?

Thanks for developing such a fantastic product.

Edited by adante

You mean the Colors Window?  Check that you have the window "snapped" into the bottom left corner of the Main window.  It will click/lock/snap into place when you drag it close to the corner.  It does so in both vertical and horizontal directions.  Once tethered into the corner it should follow the main window everywhere.

You mean the Colors Window?  Check that you have the window "snapped" into the bottom left corner of the Main window.  It will click/lock/snap into place when you drag it close to the corner.  It does so in both vertical and horizontal directions.  Once tethered into the corner it should follow the main window everywhere.

Did not realise you could 'snap' them like that! Brilliant, thanks, that solves my problem.

(And yes, colors window as well as tools and layers - but they can all be snapped so thats great)

• 6 months later...
  • Rick Brewster unpinned this topic
  • Rick Brewster locked this topic