Will Paint.Net do this for me?

I am not familiar with Paint.Net (probably the only person on earth) and was wondering if this program will let me do the following~ I want to find a program that has a grid to design my own cross stitch patterns and save as a pdf.  I need to be able to fill in squares on the grid and actually have the grid showing when I print it out.  There are other programs for counted cross stitch that are too complicated.  They go way beyond what I want.  These are just going to be a couple of colors when done. I just want to be able to print out the grid WITH my designs on it. Anyone know if this is possible?

Hi Moonmonkey - welcome to the forum :D

Yes this is possible - and quite easily done, depending on the complexity of the design.

To make a grid the easiest way is to use a plugin.  I like this one: Grid Maker.  Other plugins will do the same job like CellMaker which gives options to radius the cell corners.

Another plugin will be necessary - Im(age)PDF.  This allows the image to be output as a PDF file.

Installation instructions for plugins can be found here:  http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/36-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting/