Is there a tool/plugin for "jumbling" pixels?

iamnoob

There's a program(not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name) that has a "jumble" tool which allows you to do this:

IZ8Hjt7.png

Notice how where the dark and light meet is completely straight.

yvj5TwM.png

By selecting the program's "Jumble" tool and mousing it over the meeting area, it randomly pixelates it.

Is there a tool/plugin/something I can use in Paint.NET to achieve this effect?

There is a plugin called "Jumble", and it even works within selected areas, so you can just jumble some parts of an image. However, the plugin is part of a plugin pack that has some plugins that aren't fully compatible with paint.net 4.0. So I'm not sure if the jumble plugin itself also might not be fully compatible. I haven't had any crashes from using Jumble yet, but just to be safe, if you use the plugin, I suggest you save often.

Here is a link to the plugin pack: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8043-curtis-plugin-pack-update-for-354/

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Sure.

Try: Effects > Distort > Frosted Glass

Oh wow, that works even better. Thank you!

One thing, though: is there a simple-ish way to apply this effect to specific areas? Like, let's say I wanted to apply this to the edges of an oddly shaped object; how would I go about doing so? The most "free" selection tool seems to be the lasso, but it's really awkward. Basically, I guess I'm asking if there's an easy way to isolate the edges of an object, even if it's oddly shaped.

@Cc4FuzzyHuggles: Yeah, I saw that, but wasn't sure it would work. Is it similar to the frosted glass method Bolt posted above? Or does it work better? Maybe I'll give it a try.

The selection tools have a number of "modes" of operation.  Most of us know for example that the Ctrl key adds selections together.  This could be used to chain a number of smaller selections together.

Alt removes sections from an existing selection.  Useful if you have a large selection that you want to nibble bits out of.

Then there is Intersect (Alt + right mouse) and Invert (Ctrl + Right mouse).  

These Modes are available from the tool bar (remember to change back to the default or you'll wonder why your selections are acting funny ;) )

If you have trouble making a good selection using the lasso tool, a good work around is to actually add a layer and paint over the area you want to select with either the paintbrush tool or the line/curve tool. Then use the magic wand to select the painted area, and while the selection is active, turn off the paint layer. You should end up with a nice selection to work inside of.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1

The selection tools have a number of "modes" of operation.  Most of us know for example that the Ctrl key adds selections together.  This could be used to chain a number of smaller selections together.

Alt removes sections from an existing selection.  Useful if you have a large selection that you want to nibble bits out of.

Then there is Intersect (Alt + right mouse) and Invert (Ctrl + Right mouse).  

These Modes are available from the tool bar (remember to change back to the default or you'll wonder why your selections are acting funny ;) )

If you have trouble making a good selection using the lasso tool, a good work around is to actually add a layer and paint over the area you want to select with either the paintbrush tool or the line/curve tool. Then use the magic wand to select the painted area, and while the selection is active, turn off the paint layer. You should end up with a nice selection to work inside of.

Both of these methods are great. Thanks so much.  :D

It keeps amazing me how I think Paint.NET can't do this or that when really, I just don't know how to do it.