How to Install Plugins ×

Display Color Change Direction

MJW

Thanks for the explanation MJW, I wrongly assumed that in order to create colour, I would need to start off with colour, makes sense now. Again thanks. :)

pic_zpssmmjfurv.png

• Upvote 2

iNUIdNo.jpg

Thank you, Lloyd. Very nice image! (Incidentally, I like your blue sig, too. Simple, but very striking.)

I hope the other posters who couldn't get the plugin to work will give it another try. That is, assuming they have any interest in the effect it produces.

Finally got it figured out. Made this using this plugin and the following : Dents Classic / duped layer - blend mode Screen / Conditional Hue-Saturation / Curves Plus.

image_zpsyfa4xdj6.png

• Upvote 1

swIFX9v.png

I like that background, sashwilko; sort of opal-like.  I'm going to have to try out the Dents Classic effect. I'm happy you got the plugin working. Now if NightNurse79 will give it another chance.

Edited by MJW

I think this effect is really useful at creating grass/vegetation/ivy-ish textures. I came up with the following texture after first running Clouds at defaults with colors yellow and red:

grass-texture-from-Display-Color-Change-

And later on I created the grass for the following scene using the texture above, plus TR's Third Dimension, plus Red ochre's Furblur. I'm not sure about its artistic accuracy, but here it is for your consideration:

grass-landscape-from-Display-Color-Chang

• Upvote 4

That stormy grass scene is super cool! From the stretching moors, from the misty hollows, Grendel came creeping, accursed of God!

Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 1

I released yet another version, with significant enough changes that I decided to make it 2.0.

The changes are:

I removed the Edge Weight and Original Image controls, since I don't think they any longer have much use.

Following Eli's suggestion, I replaced White Background with the more flexible Transparent Background.

I added a new color control called Reflected Color Range which puts the end-color of the range at the mid-point, the reflects the colors in the first half for the second half. (E.g., Red->Yellow->Green->Yellow->Red.) This makes the color range match up at the endpoints, reducing anomalies when using restricted color ranges.

Edited by MJW

Glad that my humble piece has been related to Grendel LaieA_060.gif

Thanks for the updates! Will have to see what can be done with the new version!hi.gif

I like the changes MJW. 

Very nice Maximilian is it grass from "La pampa"?

I made something that looks like my table's wood grain.  :)

mjw-dccd-wood-texture-4b59fda.png

• Upvote 1

I should probably mention that the change to 2.0 doesn't really indicate any major increase in functionality (though I think the transparent background and reflected color range are useful additions). It's more that I consider it the more-or-less final form of the plugin. Though, who knows what other ideas may occur to me or be suggested.

Very nice Maximilian is it grass from "La pampa"?

Most likely! yes3.gif

And I do have to try that wood texture above! JC_clap.gif

• Upvote 1

I think this effect is really useful at creating grass/vegetation/ivy-ish textures. I came up with the following texture after first running Clouds at defaults with colors yellow and red:

@Maximilian! The candidate has 100 points. fbuett9l.gif Well done and thank you.

• Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Thank you very much, Seerose! So nice of you as always! Laie_54.gif

I forgot to mention that in order to get a grassy texture I run the plugin with the Color Range setting at 0,5 and the other values at defaults. That way I get the greenish coloring. I thought it was important to say it

It seems I've been able to come up with a rock texture that resulted from playing with the grass texture I posted above. I'll make a post about it in a few hours.

• Upvote 1

I'm finally playing around with this plug-in and it's great! Good job, I see many potential masterpieces with this :)

This is a very simple example of using the plugin for (more or less) edge detection. I just typed my initials, used the Motion Blur at 45°, and ran the plugin.

(I'm also testing a method of attaching images. I attached the image, went to its location and copied the address, then inserted it as an image.)

ColorDirMJW.png

(Hmm. I see the image gets attached as a thumbnail, even though I didn't specify that. I wonder if it can be avoided. After running into numerous dead image links on the PDN forum, I was hoping to find a way around that. On the other hand, perhaps it would overload this website with image data to have all the images local.)

post-53337-0-88765600-1432670572_thumb.p

Edited by MJW

I would say the safest will always be to store images outside the forum. I remember I recently read that image attachments were once erased, which explains why so many threads and posts refer to inexistent images.

In case somebody shows up with a need for it, here I'm attaching version 2.0 of the plugin compiled for PdN 3.5.11:

Display Color Change Direction 2.0 for PdN 3.5.11.zip

Plus a new experiment with the suggestions on edge detection, the rocky texture also resulting from this plugin (this is getting addictive! derisive.gif):

borders-from-Display-Color-Change-Direct

• 2 weeks later...

I like that border. It sort of makes me think of the Bakelite jewelry. The rocky texture is also interesting. I've produced some textures using the Color Direction plugin, but they tend to be rather "organic" looking.

Thank you! I'm pretty sure I took notes on how I did the rocky texture... I only have to find them ignat_01.gif Of course if that would be of any interest.