Is there a fibers effect?

Hello Cc4FuzzyHuggles,

Sometime ago I needed fibers and did not find a plugin for Paint.net but I was able to get some using existing plugins.

• For the Left and right portions of the image I used: Reticulation + Motion Blur + Engrave/Emboss + Adjust Levels (to increase contrast)

• For the rectangle in the center of the image I used: Noise + Motion Blur + Engrave/Emboss + Adjust Levels (to increase contrast)

fibers-4b3353b.png

Edited by Eli
  • Upvote 1

You might try this:

Clouds with everything default, except roughness at 1.00 (full).

Followed by pyrochild's Jitter with the Angle 90, the Edge Behavior Reflect, the Maximum Distance around 90, and the Width 2.

Followed by Motion Blur with an Angle of 90 and a Distance of 3.

Example:

Fiber_zpscljdgenl.png

Edited by MJW

A method I discovered recently renders somewhat thicker fibers —or at least what seem to be thicker fibers to my eyes. I don't know if it will be of use, but in a few more hours I'll make a little longer post here explaining the steps I followed.

Hello Cc4FuzzyHuggles,

Sometime ago I needed fibers and did not find a plugin for Paint.net but I was able to get some using existing plugins.

• For the Left and right portions of the image I used: Reticulation + Motion Blur + Engrave/Emboss + Adjust Levels (to increase contrast)

• For the rectangle in the center of the image I used: Noise + Motion Blur + Engrave/Emboss + Adjust Levels (to increase contrast)

Thank you. The results aren't perfect, but your samples look good. I will play around with your ideas.

:( What's wrong with using furblur with a very small curvature & long length on a layer with noise?

If you need thicker use rotate/zoom.

You make it sound so easy, but I'm not getting it, especially the varying thicknesses of fibers. Do you have any suggested settings?

Here's how I created the fibered —or somewhat fibered— textures shown by the end of this post. I'm not sure if the result looks any close to what you're looking for, Fuzzy, but here it is for your consideration:

1. Create a new image of any size and set black and white as primary and secondary colors respectively.
  2. Effects > Noise > TR's KlumpNoiz (I used distribution 5 with all other settings at defaults except the colors, which in an RGB order are 153, 0, 109 for the first color and 0, 0, 86 for the second color).
  3. Duplicate this layer, blend mode set to Glow, and make the topmost duplicate the active layer.
  4. Effects > Stylize > Diffuse (Light Direction = 130, check Flip Colors, all other settings at defaults).
  5. Merge both layers.
  6. Effects > Blurs > Splinter (Splinters = 2, Distance = 23, Rotation = 0, Mode = Darken). The rugosity of the fibers will very much depend on the Distance setting. The higher the value, the smoother the final result will be. You can also experiment running Splinter more than once.
  7. To make the fibers sharper-looking, you can run the Sharpen effect with its amount set all the way to the right. Again, you can also experiment running it more than once.

Demo-fiber-textures-from-Splinter_zpsifu

Here's a fibered texture using Furblur:

1. New image with a black background.
  2. Add Noise (64, 100, 20).
  3. Duplicate layer, blend mode set to Additive, and merge both.
  4. Furblur (Main length = 394, Angle variation = 0, Curl curvature = 0.05, Wiggle, all other settings at defaults).
  5. Duplicate layer, blend mode set to Additive, and merge both.
  6. Duplicate again and on topmost layer run Engrave/Emboss (Style = Engrave, Width =2). Set blend mode to Difference and merge.
  7. I finally ran Splinter for fine tuning, as there were a few "dots" at the bottom that I didn't like (Splinters = 2, Distance = 4, Rotation = 0, Mode = Normal).

End result:

Fibered-texture-from-Furblur_zpsr6tozb24

Thanks Maximilian. Nice efforts and ideas. :)

Nothing is quite like photoshop's results, but I guess that's to be expected.
Click to enlarge photoshop sample > http://dab1nmslvvntp.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Picture-5.png

Thank you for the steps on these paint.net-style fibers. I will play around with all of the suggestions. :)

These are the steps I followed:

1. On the main layer run Clouds at defaults (except roughness set all the way to the right) and then Motion Blur (90, Centered, 60).
  2. On a new layer above the previous one: Clouds again at defaults, plus Splinter (2, 100, 0, Darken), plus blend mode set to Overlay. Merge both layers.
  3. Then run Relief at some angle between 24 and 50, according to taste, and finally Rotate/Zoom with Zoom = 1.01x (this is to get rid of the beveled borders created by the Relief plugin).

And then I went on to add a few stains to give the texture a little more coarseness. On a new layer above the previously created main layer:

1. Reticulation at defaults
  2. Emboss at a 90-degree angle, then Gaussian Blur with a radius of 1, plus Smooth, plus Motion Blur (90, Centered, 4).
  3. After setting the blend mode to Overlay and the opacity to 150 or so, merge both layers.
  4. If a less blurred appearance is desirable, you can run Sharpen at full value (perhaps a couple times).

Here's a second result with Sharpen applied twice and Brightness increased a little:

Fibers-from-clouds-and-blurs-2_zps8gd1c8