copy/paste won't work

rlg

I don't know what's wrong but I am trying to put this (raspberry diamond image) on this (sunburst image) and cannot seem to get it either to copy/paste or to merge since I can't also seem to get the diamond on a layer above the sunburst layer. It just stays on the canvas.

All baby stuff when you know how, so I'm really getting frustrated and depressed. First I took my computer in to be fixed and their "fix" killed it, then I've spent days trying to get the new computer loaded with my back up external drive that won't let me do it without going through a long tap dance--even with WD's tech help.

And now to try--and I did once but did it wrong I guess--to load the images.

Did I mention I could use help??

Renee

Error message: I'm not allowed to upload this kind of file! It's a pdn--both of them--not allowed to upload pdn files on pdn????

It would be helpful if you'd describe step-by-step what you do, and what the result is. I can't tell if you're cutting-and-pasting from the same image or different images, whether you're using Paste or Paste into New Layer, etc.

Thank you, MJW. I first open pdn and go to recent files and click on the sunburst, which loads onto the canvas.

Then I tried the same thing with the diamond and it too loaded separately on the canvas.

So then I went to open file and got the diamond and right clicked copy, then went to the pdn and tried to paste, but it said my file was too big for the clipboard.

And several times I tried different pastes--both to another layer as well at just plain paste. Nada.

Thing is, I'd really thought I was getting the hang of it before all the horror with my last computer started. I made my main cover for a new book and even used several of the effects to good effect! :)  But now it seems I can't do a simple cut and paste. Or get the two files to both be layers separately.

Or for that matter, upload them here. Very depressing. Not to mention frustrating.

You can't upload PDN files to online services because they don't recognize the proprietary format. Save it as a PNG or JPEG and you should be fine.

How big is the image? Also, what operating system are you using, and can you cut-and-paste similarly sized images outside of PDN, for example, in a browser, in Paint, or in the Windows image viewer?

The image is either 24.8 Kb or 28 depending on its location--so said its properties. I'm using Windows 7; and I haven't had any occasion to try the other sites you mentioned.

Also while I have one problem--I thought I had directions for gold letters but in the crash I guess I lost them. Had not backed them up as I didn't several of my better fonts. But those I can just go find and download again--except for the gold letters. Know where I might find help there. The tutorial on here won't work for me. Is there such a thing as a simple way to do it?

I'm going to try what Scott suggested and see if I can post them that way. Hopefully it will work.

Something weird about the diamond. It wouldn't flatten or rather didn't.

Also the diamond is supposed to be almost as large as the Cullinan in England's Scepter in the Crown Jewels and the sunburst about four and one-half inches in diameter. So it has to be a large image or look like it is.

post-135376-0-09030500-1431115577_thumb.

post-135376-0-59455600-1431115615.jpg

FINALLY!! Figured it out, but I know it's kinda pixelated. I wanted the large size but I maybe should have used move pixels instead of resize.

I'll work on it; and now--if anyone can help me find a way to do gold text...

post-135376-0-66461900-1431187678_thumb.

In regard to the gold text, about how big will the text be? What works for larger text might not work as well for smaller text. Also, are you looking for a gilt-printing effect, or a made-of-shiny-metal effect?

MJW, I want to say that I accomplished the copy/paste by going to MS Paint [!] for the image of the diamond in order to get it to paste into pdn! Weird, but it worked and I don't care how or why.

Also is there an easy way to get the picture to be less blurry, sharper? I saw something on YouTube about an unsharpen mask but at the end of it, he said you had to reduce the image size. Great when why did I increase it if I would now have to reduce it??

About the gold text, I think probably 144 for the font, but it would depend. So anywhere from 108 to whatever follows 144--190 something I think. And I want the gilt effect not just shiny medal. What I'd like to do is put the text "Code-X" on the attached cover, in the manner that the cover designer did the new book "The Fifth Gospel." I like the way the title seems to float over the book. But then I'd have to try it to really see--and I'll have to find a sorta matching font to theirs. If possible.

Thanks for sticking with me--and what Frenchman worth his snails wouldn't prefer wine?? Beer? I'm not so sure. :)

It wouldn't attach the pic again and I used jpeg. I'll try one more time so you can see what I want to use the gold on

Edited by rlg

While sharpening tools like Unsharpen and Effects>Photo>Sharpen can help somewhat, I doubt they can make the image look like you want it to. The information in the picture just isn't there. If you plan to use a 108 point font, I assume the image you want to produce is quite large, so I doubt the version you currently have would be usable at that scale. Where did the original image come from, and can you get a higher quality version?

I assume you're referring to the black Fifth Gospel cover. It uses some variety of Old Roman font. Of the fonts I have in PDN that look anywhere similar, only Biondi has the lowercase letters as small uppercase letters. Palatino Linotype is (to me) an attractive font with an Old Roman feel. Fortunately, PDN lets you change the font after typing the text, so you can go through the fonts one-by-one (skipping obvious non-starters like "Earwig Factory") until you find something you like.

I'll see if I can come up with an effective method of generating gold text. There are probably a lot of posters here who know more about that sort of thing then I do. Perhaps they can offer suggestions.

As I'm sure I'm proving, I'm really at a loss on this stuff. My image size doesn't say large, but then also it depends on the font I guess. I thought I'd put the title on the spine and did a few tries. Thing is when you upload to Kindle it's usually 1600X2500 for the cover and they size it correctly for them. I've been trying to use 600X800 and then dragging it larger if I think it looks better. This is the first time enlarging it caused it to get so blurry. Computer or me?

I wonder about this new computer anyway--it isn't saving as it should. Luckily I can find what I want on the search on the start button, but it's strange--to say the least--not to find a file I just saved unless I go to that button.

I lost my fonts as I said, and I think I had Palatino. I'll check for the Biondi. I've been playing around with Dumbledore Wide I. I wanted an ecclesiastical type but I see it's Roman I was after! Thanks.

Earwig Factory is a new one on me!

The image size doesn't "depend" of the font size, but the font size gives an indication of the image size. I assumed that if you're using a large font size, you intend to produce a large image.

Blowing up a small image into a large image will always give a blurry result. 600x800 means 600 pixels wide and 800 pixels tall. If you increase the size to 1600x2500, those extra pixels have to come from somewhere. The program that increases the size "interpolates" between the original pixels. Basically, it assumes the pixels between the original pixels are some relatively simple combination of the nearby original pixels. It tends to err on the side of assuming the transitions between the known pixels are smooth, since assuming otherwise results in ugly, jaggy images. Because of this, sharp edges are smoothed out and therefore blurred.

That being said, if the image you posted is the actual image, it looks like it represents an image that was originally much smaller that 600x800.

Do you have a restore DVD? If you've lost your fonts, I think you might be better off saving the files you want to keep and re-initializing your system. I'm certainly no expert on that, though. I once had a system hard drive crash that forced me to reinstall everything, and it was a real headache.

I don't have the Dumbledore font. Is it available to muggles?

I wanted an ecclesiastical type but I see it's Roman I was after!

Specifically, Old Roman. New Roman is another style, exemplified by Times New Roman. In my opinion, Old Roman is graceful and elegant while New Roman is utilitarian.

I think I'm confused about which computer lacks fonts -- your old computer that crashed or your new one. Your new one should have the standard fonts installed. I didn't specifically install any of the fonts I mentioned on my computer.

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, Times New Roman is actually a transitional style, and the proper term for the newer style is Modern or Didone.

Edited by MJW

I guess I misspoke. My new computer has fonts--just not "my" fonts that I'd uploaded. Dafont is a great site for free fonts and luckily for me, I had the fonts in my download folder. But the right font is important, but the GOLD is more so.

Thanks for all your replies. There is something awry with my computer and my son is coming to look at it and fix it. Hopefully it will also fix the problem with my copy/paste!

Please someone who know how to do gold font--is pdnoob still around??--give me an unexpected Mom's Day present...

Renee - I hope you get the font sorted out. 

Meanwhile here is the star you were wanting.  Hover your cursor under the Attached Thumbnails, when you see a hand - Right click it and Save Image As.  I'd choose .png.  Then when your work is open in PDN you upload it to a new layer and resize as necessary.

Hover your cursor under this line :arrow-down: .  You can't see it as the star is white (but it'ss on a transparent background)

Ud4vwcH.png

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Pixey also has a tut on "Bling text." Since you said you weren't looking to do shiny gold, it's probably not what you're after, but I think it might work well for a book cover.

MJW--I'm ready to give up--which I guess most people on here are glad to hear as few other than you and Pixey have tried to help.

Pixey, I suppose by upload the star, you mean to go to open file? If so, it goes to background, so that can't be what you mean. And as for copy and paste I guess I could again use MS Paint to copy from. Other than that, I'm lost. The image is too blurry anyway and there is an automatic way to partially de-blur it online, I ran it once and the center stone looks some better. Maybe I should just run the copies that are somewhat better through again and again and will eventually have a clean image! :)

MJW--the gold in that tut looks silver or platinum to me. I'd already checked it out, but thank you. As for Pixey's bling tut. I think she would have suggested it, if she thought it would work.

Again I appreciate what you two have tried to do.

Renee

OK - let's work on the star for now.

1.  Save the star somewhere on your computer.

2.  Open your PDN with your book cover and jewel that you are working on.

3.  Go to - Layers - Import from File - and navigate to where the star is .... (where you saved it on your computer) click on it and it will be uploaded into the box, & then click Open. It will then be put

into a new layer above your work.

4.  Resize the star to fit where you want it over your book.

Good luck.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I thank you. Pixey, I tried to get Sarkuts gold whatever at the bottom of his tut, but the click took me to pdnfans. And I tried to log in with my pdn id and of course couldn't. But my question is, do you think I could use it to make the letters gold?

I want to explain again: I'm working on two covers here--one the diamond sunburst [that the star is for], the other gold letters to put on the spine of the codex cover that you helped me with by cleaning up and pasting the center jewel. I'm sure you remember.

But I'm having a foul time doing either. The jeweled sunburst image is too blurry; can't come up with a way to make gold letters for the codex spine.

Maybe I should just give it a rest.

Followed your instructions. What came up on the image was a square with handles (and move pixels tool highlighted) and the star in the center. Fine so far BUT when I tried to move the star into position--The box moved but not the star.

I think it's my computer.

It's almost certainly not your computer. If the computer works, it will probably do whatever any other computer would do.

As far as the gold text tut, you can't expect the instructions to tell you how to do exactly what you want to do. If the text doesn't look like gold to you, take the useful parts of the tut and modify them. In the case of the text not looking like gold, I suspect the problem is the color is too brown, without enough yellow tone. If so, use the same idea but with a yellower hue.  I realize programs like PDN can be intimidating to a novice user, but you have to be willing to experiment a bit. Not everything will be handed to you on a silver/platinum/gold platter.

Edited by MJW