Incredibly slow initial startup

Hi

I love this product, and I've been using it for probably over 7 years now (I can't remember off hand exactly how long).

But, unfortunately, it's getting to be a little unusable, because all I need it for are very minor edits (like screenshots, etc) or just a place to PASTE screenshots for reference. The problem is, the startup time for this program can be well over 60 seconds on a cold startup.

I'll paste my laptop details below, but please tell me if there's anything that can be done on my side (including debugging startups) to help improve this.

thanks

=======================

Application paint.net 4.0.5 (Final 4.5.5454.39504)
Build Date 07 December 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU) True
Animations True
DPI 96.00 (1.00x scale)
Language en-US

OS Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601.65536)
.NET Runtime 4.0.30319.18063
Physical Memory 12 238 MB

CPU Intel® Core i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
    Architecture x64 (64-bit)
    Process Mode 64-bit
    Speed ~2494 MHz
    Cores / Threads 4
    Features DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE

Video Card AMD Radeon HD 6470M
    Dedicated Video RAM 1 004 MB
    Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
    Shared System RAM 5 863 MB
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Device ID 0x6760
    Subsystem ID 0x161E103C
    Revision 0
    LUID 0x0000AFE2
    Flags None
    Outputs 2

Do you have lots of plugins? That can cause a long startup. If so, remove the ones you don't need.

If you don't have an SSD, and aren't planning on getting one (although I highly recommend one, not just for paint.net), then do the usual thing of defragmenting.

BoltBait's advice to reinstall may seem weird, but it does force a re-run of NGEN. You can also open an admin command prompt and run "ngen update" (ngen is somewhere in c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework64\v4.something_or_other).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Wow, very interesting. I can't do the uninstall right now, but thought I'd run the ngen command (because I've never seen it before.... go figure).

Anyway, interesting output related directly to Paint.net:

Failed to load dependency Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop of assembly Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Off
ice.ContainerControl.v10.0, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a because of
 the following error : The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
Failed to load dependency PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x86 of assembly PaintDotNet.SystemLayer, Version
=4.5.5454.39504, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null because of the following error : An attempt was mad
e to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
Failed to load dependency PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x86 of assembly PaintDotNet.SystemLayer, Version
=4.5.5454.39504, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null because of the following error : An attempt was mad
e to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)
Failed to load dependency Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop of assembly Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Off
ice.ContainerControl, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a because of the f
ollowing error : The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)

My next task would be to DO the uninstall/reinstall, unless you can see something that would suggest another issue.

How many Effects do you have installed?  I have a MASSIVE amount and it certainly does affect startup speed.

Try this before reinstalling:  Rename the Effects folder & restart.  That will load zero Effect plugins.

DO remember to change the name of the effects folder back again before trying the reinstall.

The reinstall does seem to have helped though. Just rebooted and opening the app has only about a 5-10 seconds delay.

I'm glad you got this working.

The installer runs ngen and I suspect that's what fixed the problem.

There are lots reasons why a precompiled image in the GAC could become invalid, including:

• .NET Framework update causes all native images to become invalid
  • Computer CPU update
  • Some changes made to the OS
  • Recompilation of an assembly to IL causes existing native images of that assembly to become invalid
  • Recompilation of a referenced assembly causes the native image to the referencing assembly to become invalid
  • Change in machine security policy
  • Running ngen /delete <assembly name>

I'm not sure what caused it in your case.  But, that's probably what it was.