Rounded Rectangle Plug-in?

Hi folks,

Is there a plug-in availible to let me make a different style of a rounded rectangle?

This is getting difficult to explain, but this is the kind of rounded rectangle I would like to be able to use....

The following were made in Photoshop.

28a7og9.png

29c8gw8.png

Thanks for any help. :)

-Chuck

Credit for first signiture goes to JDobbsy1987 from TenForums.

Credit for the second signiture goes to Harrie Pateman from TenForums.

"What's the good of living if you don't try a few things?" -Charles M Schulz

This is obviously a cheap trick, without the control a plugin would give, but one way to draw a rounded rectangle is to use Shapes to draw a filled rectangle, blur it (usually with the Gaussian blur), select near the center with the Magic Wand, adjusting the tolerance for the desired shape, use the Paint Bucket with a high tolerance to fill the inside with one color, then invert the selection and fill the outside with another color. Finally, invert the selection again, and copy and paste as a new layer so it can be stretched in either direction. Sounds kludgy (and it is), but it usually works quite well. (As an alternative to the Gaussian blur, using the Motion Blur at 45° followed by -45° also seems to produce nice corners.)

Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 1

If you want a basic rectangle with independent control of the four corner radii try Rounded Rectangle

No discussion of rounded rectangles would be complete without a mention of Squirkle

• Upvote 1

I feel stupid suggesting this because it sounds almost too easy, but what about the following?

Using Line/Curve, make a thick line (holding the shift key to make sure it's straight), and make sure that on top (next to the pixel size) you select ROUNDED for the edges.

Is Line/Curve a plug-in?

This is obviously a cheap trick, without the control a plugin would give, but one way to draw a rounded rectangle is to use Shapes to draw a filled rectangle, blur it (usually with the Gaussian blur), select near the center with the Magic Wand, adjusting the tolerance for the desired shape, use the Paint Bucket with a high tolerance to fill the inside with one color, then invert the selection and fill the outside with another color. Finally, invert the selection again, and copy and paste as a new layer so it can be stretched in either direction. Sounds kludgy (and it is), but it usually works quite well. (As an alternative to the Gaussian blur, using the Motion Blur at 45° followed by -45° also seems to produce nice corners.)

That does work pretty well. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

If you want a basic rectangle with independent control of the four corner radii try Rounded Rectangle

No discussion of rounded rectangles would be complete without a mention of Squirkle

Thanks, Ego. I already have the Suirkle plug-in and I have been playing around with it, but it's not quite what I would like. I'll install the 'Rounded Rectangle' plug-in you linked to and see how that works. :)

Thanks for all the help so far. :D

no, it's part of the basic package.

Just thought it was a quick way to do it without any special plug-ins.

That's what I thought, but I can't seem to find it. Where should I look to find it? Effects?

Edited by Chuck38

Line/Curve is one of the tools in the toolbox. You can activate the toolbox window by pressing F5.

Ah ha! Now I really feel stupid. :P

Thanks, Maximilian.