Photo dots-like effect - way to make this in PDN?

semhoze

See if the Dots plugin in Curtis' plugin pack isn't what you're looking for

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

For this type of effect I recommend this plugin Stipple

yhsjjie_11.png

Or TR's Halftone

yhsjjie_12.png

Or you could use your own design grid with a blend mode of Overlay

yhsjjie_13.png

For this type of effect I recommend this plugin Stipple

yhsjjie_11.png

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately that's not the one. The effect I inquired about has some grid that changes color based on the background plus it varies the size of the center dot based on some other criteria.

post-88804-0-05697900-1428030727_thumb.p

Here's what the results of the Dots plugin looks like:

dfw2sk.png

It is limited, however, to a minimum of 10 pixel diameter per dot, and the distance between dots is not adjustable.

If that's not workable for you, I'll write up a short procedure for you to follow when I get the chance.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I suggest:

Download Ed Harvey's plugin package.

Duplicate the image layer.

Set the top layer's blend mode to Color Burn (other modes may be worth trying).

Set the Primary Color to middle gray (128, 128, 128) and the Secondary Color to white.

With the top layer selected, run the Effects>Stylize>Halftone plugin.

Set the Angle to 90 degrees (i.e., upward).

Set the Shape to Rhomboid (other choices will also work).

Adjust the other controls, such as the Size, to achieve the desired result.

After the Halftone plugin, perhaps use the Brightness / Contrast adjustment on each layer to optimize the image.

When finished, flatten the image.

Example (somewhat scaled down):

PhotoDotExample_zpsuaaszz1n.png?t=142795

Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 2

I appreciate greatly your offer pdnnoob, but it'd not be needed for it seems that MJW got it.

I believe that is it - thanks MJW!

I think appealing results can be obtained by using Red ochre's Cuboids plugin. The overall results may look different from what you want but anyway I think it's worth considering. For the following pic I duplicate the layer and set the blend mode to Multiply, then run Cuboids twice on the higher layer at defaults, except for Face opacity set to 255 and Number of cuboids set to 4582:

Sophie_s_dot_like_photo_cuboids_face_opa

And for the following pic I duplicate the layer and set the blend mode to Color Burn, then run Cuboids only once on the higher layer at defaults, except for Face opacity set to 0 and Number of cuboids also set to 4582 like before:

Sophie_s_dot_like_photo_cuboids_face_opa

These are the settings I liked best, but you can try other settings and also experiment with the blend modes. The possibilities with Cuboids are endless and fun to play with. I hope this gives you further ideas.

• Upvote 1

Good work Maximilian! - you're very welcome to post those images on the Cuboids thread... and many thanks for the recommendation. B)
I'm pleased with it (as a Pdn 'user' rather than a 'coder' ;)  )

Semhoze - interesting question about the paid-for/Donate plugins. If you are a plugin writer you may find TR's 'Tiled Pixels'
plugin  here:http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=26758
useful to experiment with - he has very kindly posted the codelab code (free!) so other shapes could be possible - altered version for personal use only, of course. ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Thank you, Red, for such an appealing plugin. Yesterday was the first day I really began trying it (so far I've been more into Furblur :P) I'll make a post on the Cuboids thread later today (I'd like to add one more pic I've been working on :))

Good work Maximilian! - you're very welcome to post those images on the Cuboids thread... and many thanks for the recommendation. B)

I'm pleased with it (as a Pdn 'user' rather than a 'coder' ;)  )

Semhoze - interesting question about the paid-for/Donate plugins. If you are a plugin writer you may find TR's 'Tiled Pixels'

plugin  here:http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=26758

useful to experiment with - he has very kindly posted the codelab code (free!) so other shapes could be possible - altered version for personal use only, of course. ;)

Hi Red. I have authored some commercial plug-ins, but for trading platforms. No plug-ins for digital image editing yet. I've been thinking about doing something for PDN and/or PS for I like the area, do some editing work myself for my business from time to time too, plus it's all math, pixels, and colors - what's not to like?