Sign in to follow this  
kyoob

Rescaling a Texture

Hi there. This is my first tutorial in which I'll show you how to get something of great quality from a small picture.

I can only work out simple pictures, like textures from games but if you're a pro then you'll be able to do complex scenes.

By the way, you need to know the basics of Paint.NET.

You don't need to download a single plugin!

Let's begin.

I'll take a REALLY small texture from Half-Life 1. It's 64x32 and... Not difficult to rescale at all.

2zol07m.jpg

Well, first of all, let's rescale the picture with Image -> Resize. Maintaining the aspect ratio, set Width to 1280. Height should automatically be set to 640. Now that you've got a bigger picture, the interesting part starts.

We should find a proper material to fit the material. For this one, it's rusty metal that was painted green, so the textures we should find are Metal and Rusty Metal. (Hint: use Google).

I use these two as they fit perfectly:

1424130663.jpg

20hoffo.jpg

Now, create a layer above the Background and paste the first texture in it. Name the layers whatever you want. When pasting, keep the canvas size - you'd want to resize it later. Set the opacity to around 150 so we can see the original. We need it yet to arrange our textures.

2yv4d8l.jpg

Do the same thing with the Rust texture. When you are done, set the Metal layer's opacity to full and the Rust layer's Blending mode to overlay.

xzk2r.jpg

Ready to paint? Grab the Filler and fill the whole thing with #B3C130 on a new layer. Set this layer's Blending mode to Overlay. Yeah, we're going to use this one a lot.

2ebwxu9.jpg

After that, play around with the Brightness/Contrast (Ctrl+Shift+T in 4.0+ or Ctrl+Shift+C in earlier versions) of the Metal layer.

mmfrjd.jpg

Now, make the text. Use a new layer again. The font for this one is Arial 144 pt.

2u60h3t.jpg

To make it more noticeable, duplicate the layer and Blurs -> Gaussian Blur it with a factor of 25. Duplicate the blurred layer, merge the blurred twins together, set the Blending mode to Color Burn and the opacity to 165. Put it under the text layer.

286y2pu.jpg

Now, let's do the borders. Make a white rectangle on a new layer, fill the blank space with black and blur it as you did before. Set the Blending mode to Overlay.

qzlw8x.jpg

Not enough yet. Set the secondary colour to transparent, choose Gradient and do 4 linear gradients for the dark areas (on a new layer). You should get something like this.

119mr5x.jpg

To make a hard border, create a new layer and make a white rectangle with brush size set to 35. Then pick up Eraser and set its hardness to 0. Erase the inner bounds but leave the outer ones. Set the layer's Blending mode to Overlay with 120% opacity. But then you'll have to remove the first white rectangle and adjust the gradients.

2uhu68j.jpg

After all, apply Distort -> Dents to the text. Use these settings (to make the distortion really subtle).

34g60qq.jpg

This is it. You can see the full-size result here: http://i60.tinypic.com/bi313q.png

And the PDN file is here: http://www83.zippyshare.com/v/rRkz1Gso/file.html

Be fair and give me credits if you ever use it somewhere. Good luck. :)

So this is a tutorial on how to reproduce a very specific texture, rather than rescaling a smaller one?  

Suggest you change the title.  It's a bit misleading...

Other than that - this is a nice tut.  Good job :star:

So this is a tutorial on how to reproduce a very specific texture, rather than rescaling a smaller one?  

Suggest you change the title.  It's a bit misleading...

Other than that - this is a nice tut.  Good job :star:

Thanks for the feedback. :)

And well, that is rescaling, in my opinion... Or not. I'm not quite sure now. :)

Simply rescaling a texture would give the same picture but much more blurry. But I agree now, this particular tutorial is about reproducing. I wanted to make it about a different texture (from Portal which is 512x) that was supposed to be re-edited into 2048x but I thought it was too large, so I changed it to this.