Paint.net filetype plugins

wasyl

Hi

Can't find any info on how to write a filetype plugin for Paint.net. I have found only visual studio template at:http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/7984-filetype-plugin-template-v20/page_p_121651entry121651

and small description at codeproject, but I don't understand all of the parameters of OnSave event handler, what is PaintDotNet.Surface and how to work with data stored there

Thanks,

Edited by wasyl

Hi Wasyl and Welcome to the Forum.

Here is a Search Link when you need to look for subjects of interest about Paint.net.

And here are some threads on the subject you mentioned  One and Two.

• Upvote 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I think you might find this template easier to use: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26034-propertybasedfiletype-template-using-indirectui/

The UI is mostly created for you. All you need to do is populate it with any option controls that you might need.

The save process is that paint.net gives you a Stream to save to. It handles all the file selection dialog stuff for you. All you need to do is to manipulate the data and feed it to the stream. I said "All you need to do" but it's obviously serious stuff if you're not familiar with C#.

What format of filetype are you trying to create?

Are you supporting both loading and saving?

What level of coding do you have? I'm asking this so we can talk at your level - not to discourage you.

you might find this thread interesting: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/20538-ora-attempt/ It details the evolution of a filetype plugin.

• Upvote 2

In addition to what @Ego Eram Reputo said, I would suggest looking at the code for the OptiPNG plugin if you would like a functional example. That will probably at least answer some of your questions (I know it did for me).

If you're looking for info about PaintDotNet.Surface, don't forget that you can open the PaintDotNet.Core.dll file in Visual Studio or Mono Develop and take a look at it.

Unfortunately, there's really no official documentation of paint.net's internals.

• Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab