How do I create this effect?

cgui52

I am interested in the appearance of this photo.  I am trying to recreate something similar using paint.net.  It appears to be an extreme HDR effect.  Can someone suggest an effect or collection of effects which would produce this?

Thanks.

20150308_090906~2.jpg
Edited by cgui52

This was probably created with Corel Photopaint.

The function used is called "Local Equalization" under the Image > Adjust menu.

Old versions of Corel Photopaint can be had for fairly cheap. You don't need the latest version to do this function.

Thanks.

That may be the one piece of photo editing software I don't have.  LOL   I have PhotoShop (an older version), ImageReady, PhotoScape, Paint.Net, Paint, and I have even dabbled with GIMP.

And thank you for your plug-in effects.  I have installed several of them.   :)

Hello. :)

For HDR effects with paint.net you can try this tutorial, or you can try this plugin. I have not yet tried this plugin, but maybe it could be usefull too.

Paint.net can sort of do HDR, it just might not be as good as what you could find from other programs. But I'm sure with the right plugins and if you use the right blending modes, paint.net could still make something impressive. I have not tried to make things look HDR in paint.net very often yet though, so I can't suggest more, sorry.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Sorry but that has nothing to do with HDR, in fact it looks like bloody potato in my opinion..........

It's just heavy filtering, nothing more. Play around with enough filters and you'll either equal or exceed that effect. 

Plane_Sig2.gif

I think Metallize would have a hand in anything I attempted to recreate this effect.

yhsjjie-657.png

I used these settings on the upper layer (after I duplicated of the original layer).

yhsjjie-1491.png

Then lowered the opacity of the upper (metallized) layer to 99.

Hardest bit was taking the selfie :mrgreen:

Sorry but that has nothing to do with HDR

It's just heavy filtering, nothing more. Play around with enough filters and you'll either equal or exceed that effect.

I think the OP's image does have an HDR appearance. I doubt it is real and manual HDR, but it is at least close to a fake digital extreme HDR, which could be considered an HDR effect.

After doing an internet search, here are some quotes about what HDR is...

"High-dynamic-range imaging (HDRI or HDR) is a set of techniques used in imaging and photography to reproduce a greater dynamic range of luminosity than standard digital imaging or photographic techniques can do."    -- This quote is the general idea which applies to both fake and real HDR.

"HDR combines the best parts of the three overexposed, underexposed, and balanced shots to create a dramatic image with beautiful shadowing and highlights."    -- This quote is talking about real HDR, but the OP's image definitely has dramatic shadowing and highlights, which gives an HDR appearance.

To give things an extreme HDR appearance, you do need to use adjustments, effects, and blending modes, which are sometimes called filters in other programs. So yes, you are right racerx, to get the type of appearance that the OP wants, it will consist of playing around with various adjustments, effects, plugins, and blending modes, aka filters. Which seems to be exactly what the OP is asking for...

It appears to be an extreme HDR effect. Can someone suggest an effect or collection of effects which would produce this?

@ cgui52, if you have photoshop, you might like this plugin.

If you want more blending modes, you might like this plugin.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

I think this 3rd suggestion from Cc4FuzzyHuggles got me the closest.

I had already tried the first two suggestions, the "Extreme HDR Tutorial" and "TR's HDRish effect" and found neither very satisfactory.

Then I tried the "Laplacian Pyramid effect", the third suggestion.  This has come very close, and I haven't spent much time with it.

Here is a before and after pair of photos.

IMG_1820sm.jpg  IMG_1820sm-Laplacian.jpg

Many thanks to everyone for your offers of ideas and suggestions.  

I believe that Cc4FuzzyHuggles has found my solution.  Thank You.

Hello. :)

For HDR effects with paint.net you can try this tutorial, or you can try this plugin. I have not yet tried this plugin, but maybe it could be usefull too.

Paint.net can sort of do HDR, it just might not be as good as what you could find from other programs. But I'm sure with the right plugins and if you use the right blending modes, paint.net could still make something impressive. I have not tried to make things look HDR in paint.net very often yet though, so I can't suggest more, sorry.

Everything you need is here:

Before and after image... http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/1470-help-what-did-i-do/

Though not quite verbatim, I did manage a reasonable fact simile of your desired results. Unfortunately this site no longer lets me upload images. I sure as heck ain't gonna upload the image to another site and post a link to it here. They would think I really lost it.......

Plane_Sig2.gif

Will you please post the Effects/Filters used, and the settings where appropriate.

Thank you.

Though not quite verbatim, I did manage a reasonable fact simile of your desired results. Unfortunately this site no longer lets me upload images. I sure as heck ain't gonna upload the image to another site and post a link to it here. They would think I really lost it.......