Is there a free shape tool plugin?

Humility

If the Shapes tool doesn't do it for you then Polygons is about as close as you're going to get.

If neither is what you're after, how about providing an example?

I am quietly working on a Shape plugin & Rick is working on an update of the Shapes tool. Be patient :D

The freeform shape tool. Like the lasso but with lines instead of selection.

Polygon might work if it can do rounded edges. I just like to hug word bubbles to the words. And I can't post examples, sorry.

The new Shapes tool has a speech bubble. Suggest you use that or try the speech bubble plugin

Neither of those work as they can't be wrapped around the text. My words are just stuffed into whatever free space is available so I need the word bubbles to fit the words exactly with no wasted space and usually in weird shapes. And both of those options are super inefficient, and waste a super ton of space. Plus the speech bubble shapes's arrow isn't adjustable. But I can take the answer to my question from the implications of what you all said. No one has made that kind of plug-in yet.

Edited by Humility

Why not use the lasso selection tool then use BoltBait's outline selection? - just a thought - expect you've tried it already.

The problem with that method is that the mouse needs to be held down between points and therefore you'll get crooked lines.

How about using BoltBait's Object Outline with a fat radius on the text, then add arrow or Lightning bolt on bottom?

Plane_Sig2.gif

If smoother lines are required these two are worth looking at:
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/26552-peephole-drawing-or-some-path-tools-in-the-future/
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27512-trs-splinemaster-v140-a-line-maker-march-62015/

Perhaps I have never understood the freeform shape tool - I see no reason for it? (I am on Pdn 3.5.11 and testing now, I can see no advantage over using the brush on width 1 px, apart from the straight line joining first to last point)
- I'm not disagreeing with anyone,... just not understanding? - does it have some hidden tension control I've missed ?
If you move the mouse really quickly you get a straight line - but that's true of the brush too? - confused (as usual!).

Think I've just 'Twigged' - you want the photoshop tool, not the old Pdn tool! - PS.'Polygonal lasso select'? - no,... psi powers diminished, ectoplasm exhausted. ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

You were right. It was he old tool, compared to using just the paint brush the freeform shape tool is just a lot quicker and easier to use and you end up with it looking somewhat better. I've decided to try and give a visual example of all the current methods I have at my disposal. Extra hard as I haven't logged into imageshack in years.

Lets see, I actually hand draw my pictures so the little mouths I made suck as I mouse drew them.

https://imageshack.com/i/eyWVFSSkp

The first example is what I do now. I use the paint brush, I have to move a little slowly resulting in lots of wobble, the arrow tends to clump up and the lines have to intersect or I end up with space between the lines. I can move a lot faster with the freeform tool due to the little straight line on it that helps guide me and there is no intersect. So it ends up with less wobble and a little neater and a little faster. 

The second is the built in word bubble shape. Problems self-evident.

Third, lots of wastes space, the arrow still doesn't quite point where it needs to and to make matters worse I have to use one of those annoying UI windows so thats a lot of extra time spent.

Fourth is the polygon tool, probably the best looking one, though its squareness can lead to confusion, but it also ends up with the intersecting lines and i has a super annoying UI that requires I use a whole different window making the polygon excruciatingly time consuming. Probably would be faster to just use the line to tbh.

So yeah, thats why I want the freeform shape tool. It just does things a bit better and faster then just the brush. Its not a major large world shattering feature that allows for things to be done that can't be done otherwise.

Its just convenient and nice to have.

Edited by Humility

If you just wanted a suggestion though for how to do word bubbles better, if when you put down a word bubble like in 2, if you could like grab the point like you would a line and just drag it where you need and base of the point just automatically slide around to be closest to where you drag the point. That would help a lot. Would help a bit more if the whole bubble had grabbable points around for easy, fast minute adjustment.

Do you know the speech bubble is adjustable?  I am not a code writer but it seems to me that what you are looking for in a one step operation would be quite hard or even impossible to make a plugin for. 

I have seen your images of examples and for the life of me I can not figure out why you want your bubbles to look so crude. Am I missing something?

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Drop Shadow I presume racerx ?  Or perhaps the Outline Object plugin?   I like the lightning bolt,lol..     :)

Oh and the plane, the plane is awesome.    :D

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

I gave the full details in post #8.

Thanks about the plane animation. I have a better full animation of clouds, but it's too large a file size to use as a sig, so I went with static background.

Plane_Sig2.gif

Maybe this isn't the best answer in terms of speed, but then again the more you do something the faster and better you get at it. So maybe with practice this idea could work.

For speech bubbles, you could try using the rectangle shape tool.

Have your text on it's own layer. Add a new layer and draw rectangles around each row of text. Use the line/curve tool for the point. Then, you can erase the unwanted parts using the eraser tool, or by using the selection tools. Keep in mind, that for the selection tools ctrl adds to a selection and alt takes away from a selection, so you can select everything in one go, and then hit delete.

Speach_Bubble_Idea.jpg

(This was only an example, minimum effort was put into it.)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Sorry for the double post, but after re-reading these, I wanted to add to the idea.

How about using BoltBait's Object Outline with a fat radius on the text, then add arrow or Lightning bolt on bottom?

If you want a tight forming text bubble, why not do something like this?

talkbubble.png

This is a pretty good idea. But to add to it, instead of running the plugin once, you could run it twice. Run it the first time to get the shape and width of the bubble. But then run the plugin again to give the bubble a thin black outline.

Here is another example, but I used the drop shadow plugin instead and got a very bubbly bubble. While in the plugin, the plugin has a color slider, so while adjusting the over-all shape of things I had the color black, so I could see what I was doing, but then before I hit ok I turned the bubble color to white.

Next, I ran the plugin again, I adjusted the settings to make a thin black outline around the bubble. I used the line/curve tool and eraser tool for the point.

Speach_Bubble_Idea_Drop_Shadow.jpg

It's pretty quick to run the plugin twice once you know the settings you want to use.

There are three plugins you can test out to see which one gives you the look you like the best. BoltBait's Outline Object plugin, the Drop Shadow Plugin, and Pyrochild's Outline Object plugin.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

The results you all gave look really good. TR, Racer and Cc4. Thank you. I'll try them, once I figure out what the words you said to explain it mean. I'll start with the first one on top, then the second, then the third. So I guess first I have to find this boltbait outline plug-in thing. And delete all these other plug ins. No telling how the third party software will interact with other third party software you know.

Edit: Oh CC4 linked it. And two other things,

Edited by Humility

Okay thanks. I'll delete the rest of these plugins I downloaded first. No telling how Boltbait's third party software will interact with other third party software,