Deleted files persist in the 'Open Recent' menu

Unless there is the good reason to the contrary, I would like to suggest that deleted items are removed from the 'Open Recent' menu. Once an item from that menu is attempted to be opened, and paint.net see that the file no longer exist (deleted or moved), it should be removed from the list.

Thanks for your consideration.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Yes, there's a good reason. It's bad to spin up file I/O in cases like this just to check if the file is still there. What if files were on network shares or something that takes a long time to access? What if that network share no longer exists? Now it takes 4 minutes to open up the Open Recent menu, as each non-existent network file incurs a 30 second timeout delay (or more probably).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

My understanding of

>> Once an item from that menu is attempted to be opened

is that you first have to click the item. In this case Paint.NET has to check whether the file exists or not. There is no additional delay.

midoras signature.gif

My understanding of

>> Once an item from that menu is attempted to be opened

is that you first have to click the item. In this case Paint.NET has to check whether the file exists or not. There is no additional delay.

Exactly. This is how the MRU lists in Windows works. You click on a file, and it will say something like "This file can not be found. Would you like to remove it from the list?"

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab