Gif Decompiler?

Hi, I'm completely new to Paint.NET.  I downloaded the program after doing a Google search for .gif decompilers, and I was excited to come across this program.  To my dismay, I can't find a working .gif decompiler for this program.  Is there anyone that can help me with this, or are there really no .gif compiler plugins for Paint.NET?

Edited by murlocdummy

I'm not sure I understand the terms "compiler/decompiler" with respect to GIF.

Are you wanting to create an animated gif? Or do you want to export a gif as some sort of formatted data stream?

A Google search seems to indicate a GIF decompiler is a program that splits GIF animations into individual frames. I'm pretty sure there's no built-in Paint.NET function to do that. It couldn't be done by a plugin that inputs a file and produces multiple images or layers since plugins can't produce multiple images or layers. I don't know much about file plugins, but a plugin that inputs a GIF animation and produces multiple output files (if that can be done, which I doubt) wouldn't be much different from a stand-alone program that splits GIFs. It really doesn't seem to fit into the type of thing Paint.NET is designed to do.

EDIT: Shows what I know.  Here's a link to a GIF animation plugin by Simon Brown.

Edited by MJW

As MJW pointed out, there is an animated GIF filetype plugin by Simon Brown. Once you have that installed, change the filetype extension of the GIF you wish to decompile from .gif to .agif

Opening the .agif file in Paint.net will open each of the frames on a separate layer. Edit the frames as you wish, then save the image as a .agif file. Once saved, change the filetype extension back to .gif

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Not wishing to bad-mouth TR's excellent Export Selection, but wouldn't Layer Saver do the job without the selections?