New to graphic design...

Multiply the size in inches by 300 and you'll get the image size in pixels.

11 x 300 = 3300

18 x 300 = 5400

Multiply the size in inches by 300 and you'll get the image size in pixels.

11 x 300 = 3300

18 x 300 = 5400 

• rep_up.png
  •  

If this is so then why does the UI state that for 8.5" x 11" is 2550 px x 3300px and print size is 25.56" x 34.38"   ?

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

8.5 x 300 = 2550 and 11 x 300 = 3300 correct.

RE: 25.56" x 34.38" I'm not sure where these figures came from. Have you set the DPI to 300? Are you looking at a unit of centimeters?

Our poster stated the finished print size (11" x 18") and the resolution (300DPI). It's a simple multiplication.

Ok, with the dpi set at 300 I get the correct read out for 8.5 x 11 . I asked because my problem was the same as the author of the thread,just a different measurement and I wasn't getting the right read out for print size. How do you determine what dpi you need in different applications?  Is there a chart or something somewhere?  Thanks for the info.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

If you're wanting a high quality print - a good guide is 300 dpi (as a minimum). Commercial print houses generally ask for this resolution - so I recommend it for commercial print jobs.

96 DPI is the resolution of most 'regular' monitors. Printed at this resolution, an image generally looks awful. Trust me.

For home use the range of 150 to 200 DPI is generally acceptable. Of course higher = better quality.