4.0.5 Deployment Installation fails

GMBU

Hello,

First : problem

I deploy Paint.Net via WSUS Updates, using Local Update Publisher.

So I use the .exe installer file, give the option /auto , set installation rules  and  deploy it as a optional Update for our users. It works well since 2011.

Last Deployment was 4.0.3

Today  I want to deploy 4.0.5.

If the Client install the "Update", the Update Process works, but Paint.Net does'nt install.

Windows Error give me a .net runtime error and a application error:

In the first Error, a framework version 4.0.xxx is declarated, is this correct ? .Net 4.5 is installed...

Anwendung: SetupFrontEnd.exe
Frameworkversion: v4.0.30319
Beschreibung: Der Prozess wurde aufgrund eines Ausnahmefehlers beendet.
Ausnahmeinformationen: System.InvalidOperationException
Stapel:
   bei System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.ShowCore(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window, System.String, System.String, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxDefaultButton, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxOptions, Boolean)
   bei PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.UIUtil.MessageBoxClassic(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window, System.String, System.String, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon)
   bei PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.UIUtil.MessageBoxViaTaskDialog(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window, System.String, System.String, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon)
   bei PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.UIUtil.MessageBox(System.Windows.Forms.IWin32Window, System.String, System.String, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxButtons, System.Windows.Forms.MessageBoxIcon)
   bei PaintDotNet.Setup.SetupWizard.Main(System.String[])

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: SetupFrontEnd.exe, Version: 4.5.5454.39504, Zeitstempel: 0x5484cd49
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 6.1.7601.18409, Zeitstempel: 0x5315a05a
Ausnahmecode: 0xe0434352
Fehleroffset: 0x000000000000940d
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x86c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d04b655664faf9
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Windows\TEMP\PdnSetup\SetupFrontEnd.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Berichtskennung: accdf1b3-b758-11e4-b5f9-bc5ff42c7fc1

Im sorry, but I dont know what to do  now...

Second: wish

To check the installed  version of paint.net a registry entry with a product number will be fine! So, different deployment tools / admins can readout the installed product version directly.

Like...:

HKLM\Software\Paint.NET\ ProductVerison = 4.0.5

kind regards,

Poe

Edited by GMBU

First, .NET 4.5 actually has a 4.0 version stamped into the binaries because of the way .NET does versioning. 4.5 is installed such that it replaces 4.0, and is compatible with it, and in order to accomplish that replacement it goes by version 4.0.something. You can think of 4.5 as the product version and 4.0.* as the internal version. It's kind of analogous to how "Java SE 7" (product name/version) is internally labeled as Java "1.70."

If you didn't have .NET 4.5 installed, then Paint.NET 4.0+ wouldn't let you install it. So, don't worry about that :)

Second, I don't know what's causing that error. It seems to be an internal Windows issue, or possibly a bug in Windows Forms (a UI framework in .NET). Unfortunately there's no really good way to diagnose this because it's crashing while trying to show you an error! My best idea is to try on another computer.

Third, I have no plans to stamp the version into the registry. It could easily get out-of-sync with what's actually installed. The way to properly detect the version is to look in that registry location and use TARGETDIR to find where Paint.NET is installed, and then check the file version of PaintDotNet.exe within that directory. It's not as easy as just doing a registry lookup, but please trust me in that it'll be waaaaay more reliable. (What if Paint.NET installed a new version and then, for whatever reason, couldn't stamp the new version data back into the registry? This is not theoretical, I see all sorts of bugs caused by the registry not working as intended!)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thank you for your response and your information.

As a test workaround, I extract the .msi files and then generate two separate Windows Updates for WSUS Deployment. And - It works correctly, no installation error. Dont know why, buts ok for my infrastructure.

I cant tell you how to generate the registry entries, but I see it in different other software registry entries. Like Firefox and so on....

Ofcourse it is also possible check the File Version, but in this case I must check three path:

64bit on 64bit

32bit on 64bit

32bit on 32bit

Registry check is bettter :-),also  for instance if there is a second installation in a different installation path....

Poe

ok, this was only a wish, a "nice to have", not more.