download paranoia

hi, i'm your typical user - looking for something a little more advanced than ms paint, not wanting to pay.  

i feel your program is probably the best, but i decided to take the time to write to you why i'm not going to use it, just stick with ms paint, so that you may adjust your site to better suit users such as myself.  :) 

... i LOVE my computer.  

i do not like viruses.   nor do I like unknown sites, or the possibility of downloading things that might mess with my registry.   we've all had to wipe our drives because of some little thing that people like to secretly put on downloads, and the internet has gotten to the point where you can't even click on a 'top 10' site for fear of it being the tip of a hack iceburg.  

so when your download page has one of those 'download here' ads, it means danger, and when your download link leads me to some unknown site, it probably means there's a possibility of it messing with my 'tool bar' or that there's going to be some kind of malware going on.   

as a guy who's grown up with the internet and dealt with everything out there, what i'd like to know before i download your program is - how safe is your program?   why are you using this particular 3rd party download site?   is there anything added in the install that is going to make me have to wipe my drive?    who is accountable for the security of this program?

computers are personal, and the internet is the Wild West.  you guys are free, which means it possibly could be a scam.   your site does nothing to alleviate these fears, thus i will not use it.

thanks!

If you go to the correct place, as Swankyfrank has posted in the link above, you will be fine. There is no more risk downloading PDN than any other program. I have used it for years. The one thing I would stress is that if you do download it only get your plugins from this forum where you know they are safe. Do not download them from anywhere else. I have never had a problem with malware on this site in all the years I have used it.

Don`t let paranoia ruin your time on the net. Just take sensible precautions and you should be fine.

• Upvote 1

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Swankyfrank if you really want to advise people on how to safely download PDN I think you should offer up a bit of an explanation as well rather than just posting a link and nothing else.Some people need a bit of reassurance to go with it and it makes this forum a bit friendlier as well .

Please don`t take this the wrong way.  It`s great you are helping out and is appreciated but just bear this in mind in future.   ;) 

Hopefully fdsaevad will see we are trying to help and download PDN after all eh?

• Upvote 1

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Direct download link:

http://www.dotpdn.com/files/paint.net.4.0.5.install.zip

This will install the latest Paint.NET 4.0.5 to your PC in a zip format.

And don't over worry about viruses. As they say,

The best anti-virus is common sense.

Edited by Drydareelin

I highly recommend using the adblock plugin for your browser when surfing the internet. It makes browsing significantly safer and easier on the eyes.

Take this case for example. Adblock blocks all the "download here" ads so there's no risk of accidentally taking them for a legitimate download link.

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I highly recommend using the adblock plugin for your browser when surfing the internet. It makes browsing significantly safer and easier on the eyes.

Faster too.  You don't waste bandwidth on the ads.

• Upvote 1

To everything that has been said so far, with which I totally agree, I will add that Ms Paint won't take you places that Paint.NET can take you if you really want to be a digital artist. This site is safe and the download areas, both for the application and the plugins, are safe as well. I've been using Paint.NET for over 5 years now and never ever had a virus alert, so I know what I'm saying.

I also highly recommend Adblock Plus and ESET Smart Security if you are really worried about intrusive ads and infections (not that I mean to advertise products, just saying what has worked wonders for me and my computer to this day).

That's probably the case, but I think it's still important to address these matters from time to time in case reluctant, though potential, users might change their minds one day after reconsidering all we've been saying, hopefully (supposing they ever check up on this thread in future) :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to thank you all for your comments here, as I was having the same thoughts as the original poster when I kept being directed to install the Ask toolbar along with this program and there was no way to prevent this from happening. I have had serious computer issues after that particular toolbar was installed on my system a while back and I do not want a repeat of that experience.

I would particularly like to thank Drydareelin for his direct link which allowed me to install and start using this program.

Thank you again,

Aeschine 

Edited by Aeschine