Vinyl Record

toe_head2001

We're going to make a Vinyl Record. I'm going to use a lot of exact measurements in this tutorial, but please feel to experiment and change it up.

vinyl.png
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll need to install a few plugins, if you don't have them already:

Now that you got the plugins, let's begin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Set your primary color to Black, and use the Shape tool ( :EllipseTool:) draw a solid ( :ShapeDrawTypeInterior: ) perfect circle measuring 500px in diameter (use your Shift key)

2) Use the 'Align Object' (ao.png) plugin to get the circle aligned as Middle Center

align.png

500px.png

3) Add a new layer ( :LayersAddNewLayer:  )

4) Again, use the Shape tool ( :EllipseTool:) draw a solid ( :ShapeDrawTypeInterior: ) perfect circle, this time measuring 485px in diameter (use your Shift key)

5) Align Object (ao.png) -> Middle Center

6) Use the 'Add Noise' ( :AddNoiseEffect:) effect with Color Saturation to 0... other parameters stay at default values

add-noise.png

noise.png

7) Use the 'Radial Blur' ( :RadialBlurEffect: ) effect with an Angle of 50 degrees, Quality of 5... other parameters stay at default values

radial-blur.png

radial.png

8) Add a new layer ( :LayersAddNewLayer: )

9) Again, use the Shape tool ( :EllipseTool:) draw a solid ( :ShapeDrawTypeInterior: ) perfect circle, this time measuring 200px in diameter (use your Shift key)

10) Align Object (ao.png) -> Middle Center

200px.png

11) Select the Shape ( :EllipseTool:) tool to draw circle outlines ( :ShapeDrawTypeOutline: ) at 2px thinness. Do the following three sub-steps 4 times... (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)

• Add a new layer ( :LayersAddNewLayer: )
  • Draw a circle outline measuring (250px, 315px, 360px, 425px) in diameter (use your Shift key)
  • Align Object (ao.png) -> Middle Center

tracks.png

12) Add a new layer ( :LayersAddNewLayer: )

13) Set your color to a faded red

14) Again, use the Shape tool ( :EllipseTool:) draw a solid ( :ShapeDrawTypeInterior: ) perfect circle, this time measuring 150px in diameter (use your Shift key)

15) Align Object (ao.png) -> Middle Center

label.png

16) Add a new layer ( :LayersAddNewLayer: ) and move it down directly under the Red circle layer

17) Set your color to white with the alpha channel set to 140

18) Use the Shape tool ( :RectangleTool: ) draw a solid ( :ShapeDrawTypeInterior: ) rectangle measuring 150px in height, across the entire canvas

19) Align Object (ao.png) -> Middle Center

rec.png

20) Use the 'Grid Warp' (gw.png) plugin with a grid of 2 x 4, and move those two nubs as shown

grid.png

warped.png

21) Use the 'Gaussian Blur' ( :BlurEffect:) effect with a value of 60

blured.png

22) Go back to the first layer, the one with the 500px circle, and use the magic wand at 0% tolerance ( :MagicWandTool: ) in the transparent area

selected.png

23) Go back to Light layer, and delete the selection

deleted.png

24) Set the layer opacity to 75 ( :LayersLayerProperties: )

opacity75.png

light75.png

25) Duplicate layer ( :LayersDuplicateLayer: )

26) On this new duplicate layer, use 'Rotate/Zoom' ( :RotateZoom:) to to rotate the layer 45 degrees

27) Set the layer opacity to 50 ( :LayersLayerProperties: )

opacity50.png

light50-.png

28) Add a new layer ( :LayersAddNewLayer: )

29) Drag this layer to the top of the stack

30) Set your color to green

31) Use the Shape tool ( :EllipseTool:) draw a solid ( :ShapeDrawTypeInterior: ) perfect circle, this time measuring 10px in diameter (use your Shift key)

32) Align Object (ao.png) -> Middle Center

dot.png

33) Merge layer down ( :LayersMergeLayerDown: )

34) Use the 'Grim Color Reaper' (gcr.png) plugin to Green dot. Be very careful with the color tolerance, otherwise you could remove some of the red, and you'll have a faint rectangle near the center hole later on. (I suggest zooming in really close before opening the Reaper)

35) Use the rectangle select tool ( :RectangleSelectTool:) around the hole on all the layers below this one to delete the hole all the way through

reaped.png

36) Create a new layer ( :LayersAddNewLayer: ) and move it directly under the red circle

37) Use the Shape tool ( :EllipseTool:) draw a black outline ( :ShapeDrawTypeOutline: ) at the hole

hole.png

ring.png

38) Add a new layer ( :LayersAddNewLayer: )

39) Add your text and/or design to the label

DONE!

Updated: Added the Track Marker lines, as @racerx suggested.

VinylRecord.pdf

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by toe_head2001
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 8

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

A vinyl what??  What do you do with it? :lol:

Excellent tutorial!  I like this and the result.

Nicely done DrewDale & nitenurse79! :D

Look like I didn't stress the 'carefulness with the color tolerance on the Grim Color Reaper' enough. On both of yours, you can see a faint rectangle near the center hole; meaning the Color Reaper also killed some of the color of the label. Of course I was looking for it in your images, so maybe it's not noticeable?

I'll go back and put that step in bold, so that others don't fall victim. B)

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

Thanks for the great tutorial and for your effort. Here's my result. I hope like it.  :pizza:  :mtdew:

3astbt7u.png

• Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

A good trick to make the track rings is to use the shape tool No-Fill with about 3 px line. Use the Alignment tool to center.

LP.jpg

Edited by racerx
  • Upvote 3

Plane_Sig2.gif

A good trick to make the track rings is to use the shape tool No-Fill with about 3 px line. Use the Alignment tool to center.

WOW! WOW! WOW! Completely identical. Thank you for the sharing.  :headphones:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

And if anyone wants to know what my record sounds like here it is in 1080p....

I had to put in a zip file because this site won't accept an mp4 file, sorry.

Plane_Sig2.gif

Awesome result racerx! That is so realistic. I love the metalwork and the wood textures . Really well done.

Here is my go. Instead of vinyl I have made one from gold. I merged the two highlight layers down to the vinyl layer and used Metallize, followed by a bit of Curves to refine it a bit. A couple of the logos are stock but the main award one is PDN.

Gold%20Record.jpg

• Upvote 5

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Here's my result. I hope like it.  :pizza:  :mtdew:

I'm liking your label design.

Also "100 Top Hits" equals a lot of volumes. B)

100 tracks / ( 3 tracks on side A + 3 tracks on side B ) = 17 record volumes

Thanks for sharing. Do you mind if I add that to the tutorial?

Instead of vinyl I have made one from gold. I merged the two highlight layers down to the vinyl layer and used Metallize, followed by a bit of Curves to refine it a bit. A couple of the logos are stock but the main award one is PDN

I like your style... Go gold, or go home. :P

bp-sig.png

That's a Killa' Gold Album Award there Goonfella. I especially like the certified RIAA seal. Nice touch....

No, I won't take credit for creating that Old Time record player. The truth is I downloaded the image and edited it in Paint.NET enough to get full range of motion on the Play Arm. The player is slightly above my current skill level right now.

Although if I had to, I could make a reasonable fact simile I think.....

Plane_Sig2.gif

I'm liking your label design.

Also "100 Top Hits" equals a lot of volumes. B)

100 tracks / ( 3 tracks on side A + 3 tracks on side B ) = 17 record volumes

Thanks for sharing. Do you mind if I add that to the tutorial?

I like your style... Go gold, or go home. :P

By all means add it to your tutorial....

Plane_Sig2.gif

PDF attachment request. Please? :D

I just updated the tutorial to add the Track Markers. I also attached a PDF version for Ego Eram Reputo's viewing pleasure.

I hope you like it.

I shall enjoy it immensely.  Thank you :D