Suggestion for locked tuts.

Goonfella

I noticed that there are a number of locked tuts on the first page of the Creations section. While I do agree that they should be locked as the images or tutorials themselves are no longer there , the Mod (in this case EER - living up to his PDN award!  :lol: ) posting a message at the end in each one  means they end up on the first page of tutorials , getting in the way of the good ones.

I was just wondering if maybe in future it would be a good idea to just lock them and not post a final explanation, which would leave them where they were originally - towards the back of the list.

Or is it possible to delete the thread completely? After all  if nobody can do the tuts anymore there is little point in them remaining there.

It would also tidy things up a bit.

Edited by Goonfella
  • Upvote 1

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

@Gooney - I've often thought the same about the locked threads.  They take up space and do look untidy.  It would be great to get rid of them altogether :lightning: .

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Can do. I had spotted this myself.

I've been deleting some threads. If the tutorial is unworthy AND lacks images it dies.

If the tutorial is worthy AND the author is still around they get a PM from me asking if they can restore the lost images.

If there is some merit to an imageless tutorial I lock it.

I will definitely be taking a less-than-generous approach in future.

I've been deleting some threads. If the tutorial is unworthy AND lacks images it dies.

If the tutorial is worthy AND the author is still around they get a PM from me asking if they can restore the lost images.

Wow - this EER really rocks smileys-applause-156875.gif

I may be wrong, but have you just been made an ADMIN @EER?  If so, congratulations :D .

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I have.  Thank you so much Pixey.

I'll try to use my new powers for good.  Evil is, however, very tempting at times :devlish:

• Upvote 2

We can also take this as an opportunity to create some new tutorials, or re-create some very old ones to make them better/up-to-date. Writing tutorials is time consuming, but it would be good to have some fresh content around here. I'm going to write at least one tutorial this week. Time for me to once again give back to the community.  :)

I would like to encourage others to do likewise.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

We can also take this as an opportunity to create some new tutorials, or re-create some very old ones to make them better/up-to-date.

Exactly why I dislike deleting tutorials just because they lack images.  If they are locked their remains might be picked over in the future.

Here's two that I feel could be revived if you fancy a project...

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12211-the-easy-button-tutorial/

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13799-making-the-windows-media-player-11-play-button-long/

That`s great EER. And congrats on your promo to admin . ;)

I think there are quite a few of those locked tuts that could be redone now. I`ll have a look through them .

mackenzieh I think thats a great idea. And if  the tut is redone again the locked one can finally be deleted completely.

What do you think EER?

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

I'll take (claim!) the 'easy button' one, but someone else can have the 'WMP play button' one.

I just posted a new tutorial to get me started. That whole 'within the week' thing was a major over estimation. :P  Vinyl Record

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

You guys are awesome :grin: 

I like the idea of a repository for locked tutorials.  I'll raise this with the proper authorities.

I may be wrong, but have you just been made an ADMIN @EER?  If so, congratulations :D .

Woah. Congratulations on the promotion Mister Ego Eram Reputo. I best behave now you hath the power :D

ZXCBOoZ.png

Why thank you Miss Nite Nurse.  If you're going to behave you'll be no fun at all :mrgreen:

:music: "I've got the power (duck-a-dert [pause] duck-a-dert)".  Gee I miss the 80's.

Let's see where this tutorial graveyard idea goes...

When did you become an Admin?? (lots of surprise)

I didn't see that coming...... =O

I'm very, very sorry, EER. In hurry, I forget to congratuate you on being an Admin while writing the post. :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

Congatulation to your promotion.  :bertie:

Rl7un0O.png

Tutorial Graveyard is up and running http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/47-tutorial-graveyard/

This will help clean up the tutorial section of the forum.  I'm currently working my way through a list of dead tuts supplied by Toe-Head (thanks ;)). 

If you find a broken tutorial - please let a Mod know and we'll deal with it.

:pizza:  :music: EER, I extend you my congratulations as well for your new job.

Thanks EER. Never knew my 'Tutorial Suggestion' thread would lead to a whole new section on the forum!.

Goonfella, I think you have initiated a gravediggers community. Beware! you may cross plenty of zombies.  :lol:

Edited by Eli