Can't update, can't uninstall, can't install

Until today I had paint.net 4.0.3 installed, downloaded from getpaint.net. A few weeks back the automatic updater started trying to install a new version, so I'd tell it 'install when I exit', and at exit it would try to install the update and fail. I ignored this for a while since the error message was entirely meaningless ('fatal error during installation') and the log files in temp were useless.

Anyway, today I decided I would try to get the latest version installed. I downloaded 4.0.5 off getpaint.net.

Installing it failed with error 1603. When I looked, the previous version of pdn still wasn't uninstalled, so I tried doing that first. I got a fatal error when *uninstalling* paint.net 4.0.3, saying something was wrong with the MSI package. I used the microsoft install/uninstall cleanup fixit tool (as suggested on one of the other threads) and it successfully removed paint.net for me.

Unfortunately, I still can't install paint.net. I did some fiddling and tried installing via the msi method:

paint.net.4.0.5.install.exe /createMsi
msiexec /i PaintDotNet_x64.msi /log pdn.log

And the log shows this failure:

Action start 21:27:30: InstallExecute.
Action ended 21:27:31: InstallExecute. Return value 1.
Action start 21:27:31: RemoveExistingProducts.
Action ended 21:27:31: RemoveExistingProducts. Return value 1.
Action start 21:27:31: InstallFinalize.
CustomAction _577D73A5_8502_4A32_A3DC_26C3DEF80357 returned actual error code 100 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action _577D73A5_8502_4A32_A3DC_26C3DEF80357, location: C:\Program Files\paint.net\SetupNgen.exe, command: /install DESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 PDNUPDATING=0 SKIPCLEANUP=0 "PROGRAMSGROUP=" QUEUENGEN=1
MSI (s) (50:40) [21:27:32:331]: Product: paint.net -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action _577D73A5_8502_4A32_A3DC_26C3DEF80357, location: C:\Program Files\paint.net\SetupNgen.exe, command: /install DESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 PDNUPDATING=0 SKIPCLEANUP=0 "PROGRAMSGROUP=" QUEUENGEN=1

CustomAction _10F88233_DFCD_4624_8173_E1D35C3F56CF returned actual error code 100 but will be translated to success due to continue marking
Action ended 21:27:32: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action ended 21:27:32: INSTALL. Return value 3.

I've already done a SFC check and all my system files are in good condition. I've been using all sorts of other stuff on this machine with no issues in the interim - paint.net's the only thing I know of that's busted. And now I can't use it since I did an uninstall of the old version :-(

You used the Windows Installer CleanUp utility?  (just checking ;) )

Try running it again & see if it picks up any sign of paint.net residing on your system.