would like suggestions on title text

I hope that topic line passes the rules. I didn't use "help," but that's what I need from your suggestions.

I have a title for a book that needs improving and all I know how to do is from the earliest version of PDN (or close to it). But even though most of you have the newest version, I figure the old version is built-in enough that you can help if you will.

I can do the one color on top of the other kinda 3-d (Welll, didn't I say I need help? :) ) but I need the title to really grab 'ya.

The background is a usgs pic of a volcano venting steam (or whatever volcanos vent) so basically the background is in browns and black with several white plumes. I used red for the title because I tried other colors and that appeared best. But not very exciting and really doesn't catch your attention too well. I used Ballade font that is rather intricate but fits the atmosphere/setting of what is essentially a parody.

So if anyone would, could you point me in an easy direction for jazzing it up without add-ins, if possible. I'm really a writer not an artist of any stripe, so it has to be simple.

Thank you.

Renee

ps. I wanted to upload the cover but am not sure how or even if it's allowed.

post-135376-0-51831100-1421335687_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Renee

Sorry have been off the forum for awhile, so have just discovered your question.  

If I may, I will throw out some thoughts for you to consider and reject/ ignore/ look at them as if they were small puppy  that did something bad/ embrace  or none of the above.

My confusion starts with the actual title is it  "The Saga of Monterrian Gouterrian"   or  " The Saga of Monterrian   Gouterrian     Volk Caldera?  As laid out on your cover, it would appear as if the Volk Caldera is the author 

On to  the font choice, perhaps a revisit to the fonts available is in order.   Ballade is a bit  too visually complex to be a quick read by a potential customer seeing it on a rack among many many other titles. That said there are fonts of the same "style family" that are more  legible to the quick glances.  

The Saga of Monterrian   Gouterrian  =        Old Century  

The Saga of Monterrian   Gouterrian =  Sherwood

The Saga of Monterrian   Gouterrian  =   Storybook

The Saga of Monterrian   Gouterrian     =            Vagabond                      

As a few examples.    

While the choice of red is a good one to separate the title from the background the feeling you have, that it lacks something is valid.  It is too "flat" you need to add some  dimension to the title. even the addition of a  shadow would benefit

Untitled002plus_zps898vxjgq.jpg

I'm sure others will have even more insite, and be more help. Regardless looks like an  interesting project 

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

scooter, I've been away from here also. It locks me out everytime I try to log in--just now after only 2 tries it locked me out for 14 min.

If they want me gone that badly all they had to do was say so. :(

At any rate, since I'm here. I had no idea the second S looked so much like a G! Lord the covers I now have to redo! But they are for Kindle not print, and I do want a fancier font. I thought maybe Cardiff. I hate having to redo four covers! At any rate, I had managed to jazz up the fonts with a red top line, the second in white, and the third back to red again. And I used something whose name I forget that kinda gave it an inflated look.

I'll try to attach it. I think it looks pretty good.

Now for why I came on here: Is there anyway to control the distance between letters in the text mode. My words are too far apart for the font I'm using--plus where I want to put them.

I'll appreciate any help---as long as they'll quit locking me out and I can get back on here.

And the word is "Souterrain"--underground--not Gouterrain :)

renee

Now it won't upload the cover I wanted to show you. Aiee-yah-ya!

Now for why I came on here: Is there anyway to control the distance between letters in the text mode. My words are too far apart for the font I'm using--plus where I want to put them.

renee

Kerning is the amount of space between each individual character that you type. 

Here is an article on how to,  for  Word 2013  http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2030049&seqNum=10

​Also for a simpler method Pixeys answer is a good one  http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/31440-looking-for-a-plugin-to-manipulate-letters-separately/

Scooter

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Thank you, Scooter. I changed the font. Don' like it as well because I forgot how I got rid of the gray background on emboss so had to go with just thickening the font.

I tried to post the rough result--think I'll straighten out the spacing and make the Volume font smaller, but anyway ...

Wish I could remember what I did to give the effect of embossing while using Stylize--Relief, but I don't.

post-135376-0-28378000-1422633953_thumb.

renee

A most impressive result for your hard work. bravo.gif

Legibility is light years ahead and the visibility of the characters is much improved.  

Re: "embossing    Give Bolt Baits page a read  and download, if you have not already done so.  http://http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=11514

cheers_zps84ce3d07.gif bonne chance

Scooter