Two Selection Bugs relating to real-time selection pan mode

Alrighty, these two I'm pretty sure are in fact bugs. :wink:

Firstly:

Usually, while drawing a selection, you are free to drag over the canvas under the floating windows. However, if you have used the real-time selection panning mode (Right and Left mouse buttons depressed together, yes it's possible I just made that name up...) while drawing that selection, PDN give focus to the floating window instead of allowing you to draw behind it.

To repro:

1) Open PDN.

2) Make sure there is at least one window open (it doesn't matter which one).

3) Switch to the Rectangle Select tool.

4) Left-click and drag to start creating a selection (keep left mouse button pressed). Drag the cursor across the floating window to see normal operation.

5) With the left mouse button still held, press and hold the right mouse button to enter real-time selection pan mode.

6) Release the right mouse button to reenter selection drawing mode.

7) Once again, drag the cursor across a floating window.

PDN now gives focus to the floating window instead of letting you drag behind it. For someone like me, who has the Layers window taking up the entire right side of the interface, that can make dragging right a hassle.

The second bug is directly related to the first:

To see what I mean:

1) Follow the steps up there to get into "bug" mode. Keep the left mouse button pressed after step 7 up there.

2) While hovered over a floating window, release the left mouse button as if to commit the selection.

3) Pull your cursor off the window.

The selection is still in drawing mode though no mouse buttons are pressed. Now, left-click and drag. The selection moves about as if the right mouse button were still pressed. To commit the selection, the right mouse button must be clicked first and held while the left mouse button is clicked.

It's convoluted and confusing, I know. If necessary, I could use Cam-Studio to record a short video of a demonstration.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Another effect of this is the inability to drag outside the work area bounds to scroll the page during selecting while zoomed in. You can still scroll slowly by hovering near the edge, but if you drag outside the working area, over the scrollbars, it stops scrolling the page and the cursor changes to an arrow.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I tried both of them and had the same results. I didn't understand the third one though...

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Yes, this does happen and it seems to be a framework (.NET) bug. Things just seem to get a little confused when the mouse-down and mouse-up events for different buttons overlap each other in time.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If it is a framework bug, then I'm not sure if you'll be able to fix it. Still, however, I have come across a few new symptoms which occur in "Bug Mode" after following the steps for repro 2 up there.

After you release the mouse button while hovering over a UI window or a scrollbar, return to the canvas, hold the right mouse button and click the left mouse button to commit the selection, PDN will scroll the canvas automatically when your cursor enters the range on the side of the page as if the mouse were still clicked and the selection were still being drawn.

Also, pressing the spacebar will not enter tempor-pan mode until one switches off the selection tool.

Goo-luck!

Dan

~ Becoming the Archetype