How to I create monocolor noise?

Is there anyway, without any plug-ins as I like to keep paint.net clean, is there anyway to achieve a monocolor noise? Because I've been trying to get a white noise effect to spread evenly so I can crystalize then dent it for a liquid effect but regular noise fills it with black and frosted glass keeps most of the white in the center. Right now I'm using 25% paintbucket, which kind of works, but if there was some way for me to achieve a sort of monocolor seed effect it would be better I think. Thank you.

Have you tried using the built-it 'Add Noise' effect with color saturation turn set to 0?

What you said about plugins... it makes me sad that you would sacrifice utilitarianism for housekeeping.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

You sure give up easily. I can think of a bunch of things to try. For example, after generating the noise with zero saturation, use Curves to adjust the blacks to gray. Or generate the dents with the colored noise, then convert to black and white. Or how about using Clouds to generate the noise? Without knowing exactly the result you're after, I can't say what would or wouldn't work. You won't get very far if you just throw up your hands because you can't find exactly what you need in one effect, but you refuse to use plugins.

Edited by MJW
  • Upvote 2

Add a new layer, fill it with white, add noise (0 color saturation), and set blend mode to additive.

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I never understood curves or how it worked. But wow I think using clouds (I didn't know that function had any use but making clouds) set to additive actually works perfectly. Thanks. I give up quick because its embarrassing.

Edited by Humility

You might want to read the tutorials. They explain how to do all kinds of impressive effects (though they often require plugins).

To enhance liquidy effects, you might want to select the entire image and paste it as a new layer. You can then use the "handles" on the selection to stretch the image in various ways. The Twist distortion can also be useful. Adjust the Twist amount way down and set the size large to produce a waviness in the image. Then reapply a few times at different locations with different directions and amounts of Twist. Similarly for the Bulge distortion.

Edited by MJW

A clean paint.net I think is a good idea. But, I think using 0 plugins can be very limiting and make some tasks a chore or impossible. I would recommend some plugins for basic use, and nothing else. For example, I remove a lot of objects from their backgrounds, so edge smoothing plugins like feather and AA's assistant are my basics. Grim color reaper and outlining plugins are others I use a lot and they don't clutter my paint.net. I would suggest avoding distort plugins and render plugins (unless you like Shape3D), as those are the ones that there are a ton of and they eventually make the list of effects overwhelming.

However, if the OP wants to opt out of using plugins, then I guess it just means getting more creative with the striped down plain paint.net. And that's not always a bad thing, since paint.net is a great program even without plugins. ;)

By the way, Humility, you don't need to be shy when wanting help. I will admit, I think the people here don't always come off as the nicest bunch, but it's like that on almost any forum, and it's a wrong impression created by the difficulty of expressing feelings and tone over the internet through text. The truth is, beyond wrong impressions, I think the people here (at least on this forum) are a nice and helpful group who are generally willing to be patient when helping those who ask nicely. :)

I am glad to hear you found a solution for the effect you were looking for. :)