U3

I was wondering is there a U3 compatable version of paint.net? b/c i would love to put it on my flashdrive to use on a home comp that i dont have it on(and cant download on.)

“What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombreroâ€

i am not sure if it is closed source, and i use my flashdrive at school and they dont have any software for photoediting which i have had occasion for in some classes. and i cant download/install off onto my families comp only the one i have in my room....i was just curious if there was a U3 version for this since there is for many other programs.

Umm ... what the heck is U3?

But no, we won't be providing any alternative installers or versions. This doesn't prevent you from doing it yourself though.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

So, dump it on a CD and install it on your home computer...

That's what I did on a different computer.

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

But no, we won't be providing any alternative installers or versions. This doesn't prevent you from doing it yourself though.

ok that answers, it is a program that is on usb thumb drives that has programs, such as mozilla and open office, and it allows you to use the programs without having to install them on the computer. i am using mozilla right now on a comp that does not have mozzilla on it

btw for those that dont know by mozzila i mean mozzila firefox.

You can always just make a directory on your USB stick and copy the files from C:/Program Files/Paint.NET .

If you have one. :roll:

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

well last night i went and found GIMP from portable apps and it does work.

and i didnt know if just making a directory and copying the files from C;/Program Files/Paint.NET would work. but if it does i will just put it on there as well, i got plenty of space.

@Helio, as said the whole reason for the question was that i do have one, and i am trying to put paint.net on it i just dont know how

and i didnt know if just making a directory and copying the files from C;/Program Files/Paint.NET would work. but if it does i will just put it on there as well, i got plenty of space.

You'll lose printer and scanner functionality, and the thumbnails for *.PDN files in Windows. And some performance. But it should work just fine.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

ok thanks, i dont print any pictures really, i just use it for making presentations, and when the need arises i send it as a .jpeg(lowers quality yes....) to get it printed at his work.

btw is there a version in the making where you dont have to flatten the image?

Save in the PDN file format.

It's the own Paint.NET format, and it keeps layer info without flattening nor quality loss.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

The layers stay the same - the order they were in, what is in each layer etc. the only thing that changes is the file format, nothing else. And what I meant by 'swapping' is changing from working on my laptop to working on a school computer with the same file, from my paint.NET to their Macromedia Fireworks which can't read PDN files.

Sorry for any confusion, maybe 'swapping' wasn't the best choice of words

• 1 year later...

Oh dear. I have signed up to this forum for exactly the same question, and as the computing world becomes more portability oriented this question is going to come up again and again and again.

There is so much misunderstanding about U3 in this post, and so much benefit to be had from resolving this issue, that I'm going to be bad mannered enough to bounce it up again...

- U3 is a proprietory protocol owned by Sandisk for use on U3 enabled flash sticks.

- U3 allows users to carry both data and application software around with them, leaving no remnants on the host system.

- U3 applications reside on the stick, load run-time executables and config data to the host, and executables for clearing themselves out when the application is stopped.

- U3 applications make NO CHANGES to the host system, especially the registry.

- U3 applications include open source as well as fully licensed products locked to the U3 stick serial number.

- A growing body of software is now available for U3, including Firefox and OpenOffice, as well as a large body of pay-products.

- U3 lacks a good graphics package, Paint.NET would be a real hit with U3 users.

- It is simple and straightforward to convert Windows applications to U3, the U3 SDK available free from http://www.u3.com.

- U3 complient applications can be uploaded to the U3 website for easy distribution to users.

- U3 is not perfect, it has its quirks, but application portability is a growing requirement and U3 is currently the best out there.

I am personally trying to learn about U3 so I can use its features better, but I am not proficient enough at PC software to migrate something like Paint.NET. I am certainly willing to share what I know. Anyone up for it?

Meanwhile, can anyone recommend GIMP for U3? :twisted: