How do I make a sun like image (example inside)

Vorlock

I am trying to make this:

thumb_45ddf1cdb559a073999966.jpg

But the best I have been able to come up with, using the exploding planet guide plus me screwing around, is this:

thumb_45ddf1cdc5199498130658.jpg

I am a complete newb, and just recently downloaded Paint.Net.

As you can see, I am pretty close on the granuality, though not exactly there. My spiky flames are not as spiky/clearly defined either. But the worst part is the color. I have no idea how to get a scaling of color from white to yellow to dark red. Plus, my image looks a lot more blurry than my target. I am sure some of it is from the conversion to jpg from native Paint.Net, but the rest of it is probably from my clumsy attempts at using the sharpen, zoom blur, and other random tools trying to get it to look the way I want it to look.

Can anyone help with this? If you can, please use small words and assume I am an idiot when it comes to Paint.net. Thanks in advance.

using the exploding planet

Try using glow effect and layer mode.

If you post a bigger picture i would try to look around how to do it.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Rick, that WAS with the exploding planet tutorial (as i mentioned in my 2nd line of text).

Rainshadow, that looks much better, thanks. Still, my picture seems a lot more blury and less well defined than my target. Any idea how to fix that? The exploding planet tutorial (which is what I used as the basis for my attempt) uses lots of blurs, so not sure how to get that effect while still generating the picture with that method.

Rick, that WAS with the exploding planet tutorial (as i mentioned in my 2nd line of text).

Woops, yeah my bad. I should've read more carefully before replying.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Redo the tut...

When you are at the point to use the curves for coloring, try following:

1. Flatten all layers. Duplicate the layer, F4 blend mode negative. Flatten all layers.

and/or

2. Flatten all layers. Adjustment /Curves / Luminosity : play with the curve and draw a W or a V or M...

Continue the rest of the tut...