Sign in to follow this  
sirhakon

Win7 & Error 1603 & 32-bit MSI may not be installed on 64-bit OS.

Every install I was getting 'Error 1603'. After many attempts to install with different fixes (From editing permissions, to reinstalling .NET, and more), I found my main problem was that my OS is x64 and Paint.NET was trying to install as x86. I got the error "32-bit MSI may not be installed on 64-bit OS." inside my 'pdnMsiInstall.log' file in my %Temp% folder.

My solution was to open a Command Prompt and ran: paint.net.4.0.5.install.exe /createMsi

(Which I found from http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/UnattendedInstallation.html)

/createMsi
This will create two MSI packages in a folder on your desktop called PaintDotNetMsi. These MSIs are each targeted at a specific OS/CPU platform type (x86 or x64). These may be deployed via standard AD/GPO mechanisms, and are already patched with the MSI properties that you specify using the PROPERTY=VALUE command-line options (if any).

It created 'PaintDotNet_x86' and 'PaintDotNet_x64' in the 'PaintDotNetMsi' folder on my Desktop.  I was then able to run 'PaintDotNet_x64' (As I said, I'm x64) and it auto-installed and is working great.

Side Note: I was able to install Paint.NET.3.5.11 (A file I found on an alt site) without any issues.

08/12/15 Edit: I again ran into the issue of updating to 4.0.6, I again did the /createMSI trick and was able to install with no issues.

Edited by sirhakon
  • Upvote 2

This is pretty slick - nice work, sirhakon! I've been scratching my head all day trying all of the suggestions posted on these forums. I'd go so far as to request that this be included in the pinned posted for installing, uninstalling and updating troubleshooting or to be pinned for this specific error.

• Upvote 1

I tried this trick but then got a registry access error instead of the 1603 error.

That new error looked similar to this

HZwac34.jpg

Then, using the last couple of characters of this error's path, I did this:

http://www.okino.com/conv/changing_windows_registry_permissions.htm

...and it worked. Finally could install Paint.net again.

Edited by DavidP

Unsure what to do. Upgraded every version fine until 4.0.9.

Tried this attempting to go from 4.0.6 to 4.0.9.  Made the MSIs ok, but when I ran it (win7-64) it said "To install this product, use the setup wizard.".

Unsure what to do, tempted to hack the registry and remove pdn references, but I'd rather a more elegant tool instead.  Anything around?

Any better ideas?

TIA

UPDATE: This fixed it for me:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/692-install-update-or-uninstall-trouble-read-this/#entry2795

Use this tool to remove paint.net from the registry's install database, then it installed fine.

Edited by radsdau

If you don't know what an MSI is, you shouldn't be using /createMsi.

I don't mean that as an insult. It's meant for network administrators to do a broadcasted installation across a network of computers. For an individual, do not use it.