SUGGESTION: mirror 3.5.11 here

In this thread it is said that the latest version of Paint.Net that worked on Windows XP was version 3.x (possibly 3.5.1 or something). It is also said to whoever needs it: "find it yourself, somewhere else".

Well, I'd rather find it on this website.

It is not uncommon for software that has maintained compatiblity through several OS's (Windows 2000, then XP, then 7) to offer the latest stable version for that OS, for download. Obviously it would have to be somewhat discreet on the download page, at the bottom in small letters, not right in your face.

This is from a faithful Paint.Net user who keeps using it on his old Netbook and doesn't want to depend on third-party fishy mirroring websites.

Edited by jeancallisti

This thread here esp. point 7 explains clearly why this is so.

Please do remember that every single one of us volunteers precious time & energy & being in such short supply for us, we, through necessity, limit version availability to the current one.

We appreciate your support & that is why you have been directed kindly by BoltBait to FileHippo. Please go look.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

This is from a faithful Paint.Net user who keeps using it on his old Netbook and doesn't want to depend on third-party fishy mirroring websites.

3.5.11 was the version immediately prior to 4.x. If you have it installed on your Netbook then simply keep using it. No one is asking you to remove it. I myself have a copy of 3.5.11 on an ancient XP laptop. I use it as a point of reference when I can't remember how things used to work prior to 4.x ;)

I do agree, I wish they still had the download for 3.5.11 since it is just that much different than 4.0 that it's a one of a kind program of it's own. If they gave the download though, I'd say maybe have a big warning that it is no longer supported, and to say to use at your own risk and do not request help for it. Older versions aren't welcome on the forums, but a simple download link with a use warning you would think would be fine on the download page.

Aside from my personal opinion, if you do your research, I think there are some safe 3.5.11 downloads these days. Last week I saw a few websites that seemed much more reliable and trust worthy with it available.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

In this thread it is said that the latest version of Paint.Net that worked on Windows XP was version 3.x (possibly 3.5.1 or something). It is also said to whoever needs it: "find it yourself, somewhere else".

Well, I'd rather find it on this website.

It is not uncommon for software that has maintained compatiblity through several OS's (Windows 2000, then XP, then 7) to offer the latest stable version for that OS, for download. Obviously it would have to be somewhat discreet on the download page, at the bottom in small letters, not right in your face.

You were given a site here on the thread that you linked to. Go look. 

Locking this thread as any further discussion on this is wasting keystrokes.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

As barbieq pointed out above, a website was given in the thread you pointed to. I can assure you it's not a fishy one. Here's a link for your convenience: http://filehippo.com/download_paint.net/15781/

To the other mods: given that safety is one of the big concerns when people bring up this question, telling them to go search for a download is really kinda rude imho. At least give them a link to go to...

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

User has requested that I unlock the thread because he didn't finish saying what he wanted to say. 

Please remember that users were warned that an upgraded OS is required for 4.0 for years.

The rules clearly state not to ask for previous versions.

The OP was told where to look although no specific link was provided, it was very easy to find. pdnnoob provided it.

There has been much discussion on this previously with the same outcomes.

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

barbieq25, thanks for unlocking the thread, I'll be brief.  :)

There is a misunderstanding regarding the nature of my request (it's not even a request, it's a good practice suggestion). I'm not asking for the old version. I'm not asking where it can be found (all that I already knew from reading the other thread).

What I am saying here is that it is usual practice to keep the one latest version for an obsolete OS available for download. Good practice. For example, if you look at Java, or Flash player, or any legacy software, you will still find a prehistoric version for download on the official website, because that version is known for being the last working version for that system, even if nobody uses that system anymore. They don't offer all versions for that generation. Only the last one, fully patched (here it would be 3.5.11). Still they will ask you to use the latest one.

This is not going against the forum rules, because the rules say "you must upgrade to the latest version". Yes. Obviously! In other words: don't try to work out an old version, don't report its bugs, don't criticize them (obviously) , and don't ask old versions to be maintained (obviously), and don't ask for a download link to random old versions somewhere in the gazillion releases (obviously).

You get my point, so I'll stop here.

Thanks for listening. Elders of the Internet, be wise. ;)

Edited by jeancallisti

Jeancallisti, thank you for clarifying what you meant & for persisting in the interest of good communication. We have had many, many requests for previous versions as you are no doubt aware & the issues it causes. Anyone reading your response above should get a clear understanding also of why not to ask for older versions. Nicely written.

I guess it will be up to the administrators to decide if this is a good idea to implement in this instance. A link to FileHippo or something...?

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

I agree with jeancallisti, even microsoft keeps older versions for download somewhere on their site for a period of time. I myself have both versions on my pc because I am one of the lucky ones who was able to afford an upgrade. But what about the poor souls who can not afford to upgrade? Do we feel good about just tossing them out in the cold?

Personally I prefer using the older version for ease of use and familiarity. I am very limited on the newer version and easily get frustrated with it's "ease of use". But then again windows 8 also frustrates me with it's intended ease of use,lol. I also have the older version and all the older plugins on my second pc for a back up in case I lose the one I use most of the time.

• Upvote 1

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

It's not up to the Administrators, just Rick.  It's his party and he calls the shots.