Paint.NET will not close when machine is shutdown

If paint.Net is running, and I attempt to shut down my machine, Paint.NET prevents the machine from shutting down.

I get "(Waiting for) <image title> - paint.net 4.0.4 This program is preventing Windows from shutting down" This is independent of whether the image is un-saved or not.

I'm running 4.0.4 but this bug has been present for much longer than that.

Why don't you close paint.net first?

• 9 months later...

I always have many programs running on my computer. Outlook, Skype, Winamp, browser, task manager, various editors etc. Moreover, I know that there are hundreds of invisible services running. When I want to shut down the computer, I don't want to close each of these programs separately; I simply click Start > Shut down. All running programs are closed automatically by the operating system. Each program responds correctly to this action: it gracefully closes. Of course, if there is an unsaved edit in an editor, it responds to the operating system with a corresponding message; the computer stops shutting down and requires me to save or discard the unsaved file. This is obvious. But Paint.NET is always preventing Windows from shutting down, even if all files were saved. This is annoying. I believe it's a violation of Windows coding guidelines. It's very strange to see this kind of odd behavior from a program branded as ".NET".

There's a "force restart" button that will shut it down in a jiffy.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo