Increase pointer size

Better idea - send the monitor to me :P

Yes, I wonder if it is related to PDN or if you can make a global change in your settings...

The global change doesn't affect PDNs cursors, i have mine on extra large haha

Also from a design perspective, id wait until good 4K IPS panels become cheaper. The TN panel i have now is temporary but the colour shift from bottom to top is too harsh for any serious design work.

I have the asus pb287q by the way 

Edited by SAND33P
  • Upvote 1

eOdUjVm.jpg

Politeness noted.  Thanks for your patience.

Rick is very busy at the moment.  Perhaps even more so than usual.  When he has sufficient time I'm sure he will let you know if your suggestion will fly.

• Upvote 1

^ That attachment is broken.

I've had a play today and cannot get paint.net 4 to accept a reformatted cursor.  I tried 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 sizes and both *.cur and *.png formats.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/30/2014 at 7:52 AM, SAND33P said:

The mouse pointer becomes quite small on a 4K display and it is often hard to find if it is not on the canvas

A setting to changer pointer size or to change the background colour of the canvas surrounding area would be helpful :)

I know I'm bumping a 4 year old thread here, but if you're like me and recently upgraded to a 4K monitor...

I highly recommend switching to the Dark Theme.

Like the OP, after upgrading to a 4K display I had a really hard time seeing the mouse pointers on the neutral gray background that surrounds the canvas.  Switching to the Dark Theme completely solved that problem for me.

While I would still like to have larger mouse pointers, at least with the dark theme my eye can track the mouse pointer as it glides over the background on its way to the canvas.

And, now I will lock this really old thread. :P 

Mouse pointers should already scale with the system DPI setting, no? It should use the floor of the integer of the scaling. That is, 125% is 1.25x which gives 1.0x scaling for cursors, but 200% DPI will give you 2x larger cursors

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Rick, here are 2 screenshots of my 4K system running paint.net 4.0.21 at 200%:

CursorSizes.png

Taken with my cellphone (so I could capture the cursors), so ignore the poor quality of the image.

Anyway, look at the difference in size of the two cursors!

Some cursors are large and some are small.

I spend most of my time in paint.net using the rectangle selection tool.  When using the light/blue theme, at this resolution, you can't see the smaller cursor when it is on the neutral gray background... even when moving the mouse around.  It is very small and the black and white blend together to be gray, just like the background.

(When running directly on my laptop 4K 13" screen, I use 200% and when using my 4K 27" monitor, I use 150%.)

Hrumph. That's not how it's supposed to work.

But if you're switching between monitors with different DPI settings, that may explain it. Paint.NET does not handle that. I've filed a bug in any event.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

1 hour ago, Rick Brewster said:

But if you're switching between monitors with different DPI settings, that may explain it. Paint.NET does not handle that.

I don't run both monitors at the same time.  I have my laptop plugged into my large monitor as "duplicate screen" not as an extended screen.  This is my normal configuration.

I was just saying that on occasion I unplug my laptop and use it by itself and in that case I change the percentage to 200% because the monitor is only 13". 

The screenshots I posted above were taken moments apart with no system changes between them.  It just shows that switching between tools gives different sized mouse pointers.