advice on selecting portion of image

I want to select a part of an image and paste it on the second layer with the main picture on the first layer.

example:

see pic

i want to select the whole human body portion minus the surrounding white portion and the white portions between the arms and the body.

is there an easy way to do this other than the cumbersome method of lasso select tool.

thanks.

post-51634-0-54860800-1417182216_thumb.j

Edited by br945

There are different techniques for selecting and pasting.

In this case I would:
1. Select the 'magic wand'  :MagicWandTool: and set the tolerance quite low, say 10%.
2. Click on the WHITE background and make sure only the white is shown as selected.(if not, change tolerance and try again)
3. Click Edit/Invert Selection (now only the 'body' should be selected along with the anti-aliased edges).
4. Click Edit/Copy
5. Click Edit/Paste into New layer.

Hope that helps. ;)

• Upvote 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Step 2.5 Hold down the Ctrl key and click in the white spaces between the arms & body. The Ctrl key adds these areas to the existing selection ;)

• Upvote 1

Step 2.5.a - Try changing the magic wand's 'Flood mode' :FloodModeLocal: to 'Global' :FloodModeGlobal:, this should pick up any enclosed white areas.

The problem with using Global is that the clothing is white. A global selection will pick up the clothing along with the background. Better IMHO to use Ctrl and three clicks (background, under left arm & under right arm) to build the selection.

Tip:  You can get a decent selection in all three areas with a Tolerance of 33%.

Once the selection is made, follow Red Ochre's steps, or use these keyboard shortcuts ...

Invert selection with Ctrl + I

Copy with Ctrl + C

Paste into new layer with Ctrl + Shift + V

• Upvote 2