Corrupted paint.net files

wwsalmon

Hi,

I recently saved a pdn file as a jpg, but when I tried to go back into the pdn file, Paint.net told me this:

"There was an error when opening the files."

If I click on "more details", it gives me this message:

System.FormatException: file is not a valid paint.net document

at PaintDotNet.Document.FromStream(Stream stream) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Data\Document.cs:line 1353

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 477

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in d:\src\pdn\paintdotnet\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

post-138477-0-74946300-1417103676_thumb.

I read a previous discussion that said that adding .pdn to the file name would make it work, but it didn't change anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

wwsalmon

Back up your plugins. Try uninstalling Paint.NET using Revo Uninstaller with the "Advanced" setting and install it again. It might be an issue with a faulty registry entry or corrupted PDN installation.

I recently saved a pdn file as a jpg, but when I tried to go back into the pdn file, Paint.net told me this:

What does 'saved a pdn file as a jpg' mean?

The important information is the 'Save as type:' selection in the save dialog. It defines the content of the file (the extension of the file doesn't matter). But you should use the right extension because 'Open' the file just looks to the extension to determine the content. If the content does not match the one expected by looking to the extension then open will fail.

You may open the file with notepad and look for a magic value at the beginning.

- 'PDN3^ means the content is in PDN format

- 'ÿ' indicates a JPEG stream content (in most cases you will see 'JFIF' too)

- '‰PNG' is - no surprise - a file in PNG format.

Nethertheless if the content is jpeg then you have to load it as jpeg. There is no way to get back layers or other informations. Sorry.

midoras signature.gif

Back up your plugins. Try uninstalling Paint.NET using Revo Uninstaller with the "Advanced" setting and install it again. It might be an issue with a faulty registry entry or corrupted PDN installation.

This is far too drastic.  As a final solution - just possibly + maybe, but there is plenty to try before we get to that.

Try Midora's advice and see what you can find.  

Feel free to upload the file to see if one of the smart cookies on the forum can help recover it.