I meant is it possible to make objects appear transparent

Highlight the layer that the object is on.  Press F4.  Slide the opacity slider to the left.

Scott, I finally found the image I wanted to make transparent. And I followed your instructions but never could figure out how to determine when I was low enough on the opacity. How do you do that? I mean it had lots of the little squares but wasn't "watermarke/transparent" enough or not enough, since I couldn't figure out where I/it was.

PS. What I could find made the "atmosphere" look very cloudy but the house stayed substantial . I guess what I want is a sorta colored watermark, for lack of another way of putting it! :)

Maybe just a watermark would work. But how do I do that without years of training in pdn??

Okay, I'm lost. I know I want to use the overlay in blending. But how do I put the overlay image on the background image?

Do I have to cut and paste it onto the background as just the apple? Or do I somehow put the apple on its own background and do the transparency thing there? What I mean is how do I get the apple to be on its own transparent background prior to moving it to the top of the background layer?

I sure wish someone would take pity on me and list the proper steps to take. Please...

You need to work with layers.

1) Open your main image.
2) Open the image that you want to put over your main image (just open it in paint.net as it's own separate image).
3) Select all (ctrl + a) and copy (ctrl+ c) the image you want to put over your main image.
4) Go to your main image in paint.net.
5) Add a new layer and name it "Blending Layer".
6) Paste (ctrl + v) the image you want to put over your main image onto the “Blending Layer".
7) Change the Blending Layer's blending mode to multiply or overlay.

If the image you want to put over your main image has a white background, and that white background conflicts with the look you are trying to get, then simply remove the white background with either the magic wand tool or the Grim Color Reaper plugin. (how to install plugins? see here.)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Cc4etc.

I replied last night but it didn't post. However, no matter how hard I try, I still can't get it right. There is white I want out but unfortunately even at 2 the magic wand removes too much.

And the house darkens but never goes as transparent as the apple shows--almost with whatever blend I try.

Apparently I'm doing something wrong. But it's too much for me, so I guess I'll just forget using the house.

Thanks however for all your trying to help!

Unfortunately, there isn't much more I can suggest for overlaying an image over another image. If a watermark look is what you want though, there are some tutorials on YouTube, just do a YouTube search "paint.net watermark".
(Warning, never download anything from a youtube user, often their links are old or lead you to harmful downloads.)

For removing a background, such as the white background from your one image, you can follow this tutorial : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/13796-cutting-out-images/

Good luck.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles