Copy a shape?

Hopefully simple question: I need to draw a bunch of shapes that need to have the exact same dimensions. The most straightforward idea I have is to draw one shape exactly the way I want it and then copy & paste. The problem is: how do I copy and paste a shape onto the same layer? I can't figure out how to do this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PS: I searched the documentation and the forums and came up empty.

Hi Ramon and Welcome.

1.  Make your shape on a new layer.

2.  Go to Edit - Select All - then again to Edit and this time select Copy.

3.  Make a new layer and then go to Edit - Paste.  Your image will be on top of the other, so use the Rectangle Tool to move it to where         you want it placed, then merge it down to the lower layer.

4.  Make a New Layer and repeat the above starting with Paste, once you have it lined up, merge down ..... etc.

Hope it works for you :)

• Like 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks for the quick reply. While I got it to work sort of I seems to always copy the background as well. Is there any way to not have the background be part of the copy?

Rather complicated process for something that is quite simple, but maybe is just sounds easy and really isn't.

Given that the majority of my work will be drawing and copying shapes onto a layer over a background (and then discarding the background) I guess I need to look for a different tool. Sad actually because paint.net is otherwise absolutely fantastic!

You need to make your shapes on their own layer. In any photo editor having objects or shapes on their own transparent layer is important. So, do not draw on the white layer, add a new layer, make sure it's the layer you're on by clicking on it, and then draw on it. You will want to draw each object on it's own layer and then merge the layers down. You can find working with layers in the documentation, if you need a link just ask. :)

Also, note, be sure when you copy you use copy (ctrl + c) not copy merged (ctrl+shift+c).

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Thanks for the quick reply. While I got it to work sort of I seems to always copy the background as well. Is there any way to not have the background be part of the copy?

Rather complicated process for something that is quite simple, but maybe is just sounds easy and really isn't.

Given that the majority of my work will be drawing and copying shapes onto a layer over a background (and then discarding the background) I guess I need to look for a different tool. Sad actually because paint.net is otherwise absolutely fantastic!

It's all about layers, at the end of the day.  They are important and many people create their works by using many, many layers before they merge down.  It takes practice and often you need to keep track of them by giving them names.  In the example I've posted below, you will see 3 layers with the stars.  You could merge them down to each other and then have three on one layer, you could then duplicate that layer and move them them again to meet up with the first three, so you'd then have six ............ and so on.

7y9Skrn.png

To see how to make use of the Trail Plugin to make a page full of images here is a tutorial which may help you.

Edited by Pixey
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Here is what I want to do: turn a screen shot into a screen portrait. That means draw a new image based on a background (the screen shot). After cropping the screen shot to the dimensions I needed I added a new layer. On that layer I drew a rectangle for a text box and a line for a text box label. There are multiple label / text box combos that are all sized the same. That is the reason why I want to copy and paste the shapes versus drawing the exact same over an over again. That though seems to be easier to accomplish than adding a new layer for each shape and then merging the layers.

Uh...new reply...

Ah, unchecking the background. I'll try that.

Thanks for all your replies. Is there a suggestion box somewhere where I can propose adding an easier means for copying shapes? I dug up my PSP6 copy (the one from Jurassic Park) and there copying and pasting shapes is as easy as copy and paste, even on the same layer. PSP6 is just, well, old and crusty.

Ok, here is another way of doing things. You can make your shape on it's new layer, then duplicate the layer, do what you want to the shape such as flip or rotate the layer, or use the move selected pixels tool :MoveTool: to edit the shape, then merge the layer down.

Also, here are some plugins that might interest you :

Shapes Render Plugin (when using, uncheck "do a gradient" to make lines all one shade of color)

Align Object Plugin

The Object Align plugin is part of this plugin pack.

(how to install plugins? see here.)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles