Problem with selection, copy-paste and background

I have several mostly transparent layers in the project, with white background layer.

Whenever I select an area on the top layer, copy-paste the selection and move it around, something odd occurrs. The selection area seems to also copy the background layer (not other layers) and a solid white block with the actual part of the top layer in the middle moves around. amazingly this white area still is below other layers, it only seems to interact with the top layer.

If I should turn the backgroud layer to be not visible (tick in the layer menu) the white block turns checkered as if to indicate it is transparent, yet it still blocks things in the top layer.

What has happened to my Paint.NET? I do not recall such behaviour in the past.

post-138163-0-25265600-1415021779_thumb.

post-138163-0-03895700-1415021789_thumb.

Hi @Surpriis - please try to copy and paste your tree/branch into a NEW layer of its own - then the 'overlapping' of your tree will not happen.  After which you can then merge it down.  Good luck :) .

Edit:  The boss beat me ;) .

Edited by Pixey
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Are you holding Shift when you press Ctrl+C? If so then you're actually using Edit -> Copy Merged.

This is not the case. After all, the tree trunk would have been copied as well then.

Hi @Surpriis - please try to copy and paste your tree/branch into a NEW layer of its own - then the 'overlapping' of your tree will not happen.  After which you can then merge it down.  Good luck :) .

Edit:  The boss beat me ;) .

This works, but I will just end up with a gazillion layers in the end. Unless I can merge/flatten certain layers at will. All I have in the options is the flattening of the whole image.

I suppose I could try to play around with the magic wand selection tool a bit more, but I just never remember seeing this white block before when doing things like these...

I'm not sure what your experience with paint.net is, but do you know that merging a layer down and flattening an image are two different things in paint.net? See here to know more about layers : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/LayersWindow.html

And regarding a lot of layers, yes, many people work with a lot of layers to get the look they are wanting, this is unavoidable for many of us. Luckily we can name layers and change the size of the layers window, which is a big help. :)

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure what your experience with paint.net is, but do you know that merging a layer down and flattening an image are two different things in paint.net? See here to know more about layers : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/LayersWindow.html

And regarding a lot of layers, yes, many people work with a lot of layers to get the look they are wanting, this is unavoidable for many of us. Luckily we can name layers and change the size of the layers window, which is a big help. :)

How embarrassing.. I was fiddling with the drop-down menus and did not even notice the tiny icons under the layer box. Now I think I have the info I came for.

Thank you all!   :)

Edited by surpriis