Since 4.0.3 tools have lost their keyboard shortcuts

I used to be able to press the <z> key to activate the zoom tool, similarly <e> to activate the eraser tool etc. The shortcuts no longer show up in the tooltips. Is this a known issue (and if so is it fixed in the current beta) or is it likely to be a problem with my setup?

These shortcuts should be working in 4.x. As should the tool tips. I'm not aware of anyone else reporting this issue.

Can you confirm this problem after a reboot?

If the problem persists, please post the contents of your Setting > Diagnostics tab so we can see your system settings.

Q: What language are you working in? Any special keyboard tweaks installed?

Ok, I sort of tested this. When I went from my web browser window to paint.net the tool tips worked but the shortcuts didn't. I clicked on paint.net's window border at the very top, to make sure it was my active window, and the shortcuts still didn't work. Then I clicked on a new tool manually and I was able to use the the shortcuts again. This is the first time I've noticed the shortcuts not working, that's not to say they haven't been functioning for any amount of time, I just never noticed till now. But I will admit through all of my paint.net years sometimes the tool tips don't always pop up.

Ok, I sort of tested this. When I went from my web browser window to paint.net the tool tips worked but the shortcuts didn't. I clicked on paint.net's window border at the very top, to make sure it was my active window, and the shortcuts still didn't work. Then I clicked on a new tool manually and I was able to use the the shortcuts again. This is the first time I've noticed the shortcuts not working, that's not to say they haven't been functioning for any amount of time, I just never noticed till now. But I will admit through all of my paint.net years sometimes the tool tips don't always pop up.

This was enough of a hint for me to figure out a (at least currently) successful workaround. From what I can determine the problem is a collision between the Tool floating-dialog-style toolbar & the toolbar-in-the-menu-area-style. To conserve screen real estate I keep the dialog-style turned off and almost exclusively use keyboard shortcuts; when I (rarely) need one of the tools for which I do not recall keyboard shortcut I use the new toolbar.

After a while of launching and exiting numerous times during the day it appears that the keyboard shortcuts are forgotten. By opening the dialog-style toolbar the keyboard shortcuts are remembered and I can close the dialog-style toolbar and they continue to be remembered (at least for a while).

These shortcuts should be working in 4.x. As should the tool tips. I'm not aware of anyone else reporting this issue.

Can you confirm this problem after a reboot?

If the problem persists, please post the contents of your Setting > Diagnostics tab so we can see your system settings.

Q: What language are you working in? Any special keyboard tweaks installed?

The problem persists after quite a few reboots; see previous post for workaround.

Diagnostics:

Application	paint.net 4.0.3 (Final 4.3.5316.40022)
Build Date	Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU)	True
Animations	True
DPI	96.00 (1.00x scale)
Language	en-US

OS	Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601.65536)
.NET Runtime	4.0.30319.18444
Physical Memory	8,191 MB

CPU	Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q9650  @ 3.00GHz
    Architecture	x64 (64-bit)
    Process Mode	64-bit
    Speed	~3005 MHz
    Cores / Threads	4
    Features	DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, XSAVE

Video Card	AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
    Dedicated Video RAM	1,013 MB
    Dedicated System RAM	0 MB
    Shared System RAM	3,839 MB
    Vendor ID	0x1002
    Device ID	0x68BA
    Subsystem ID	0xE144174B
    Revision	0
    LUID	0x0000C456
    Flags	None
    Outputs	2

Interesting question "what language". I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional's scripting language to control almost all aspects of my computer interaction. I have medical issues which limit (but not preclude) the use of keyboard & mouse. To be on the safe side, before posting originally, I made sure to try direct keyboard input completely bypassing any scripting, the results were the same in either case.

The problem persists after quite a few reboots; see previous post for workaround.

Glad you found a way around this issue. Rick is the developer and will have logged this thread.

Thanks also for posting the diagnostic info.

Interesting question "what language".

I had to ask. If you had the language set to Klingon or Elvish there might be a problem with the keyboard ;) The tool tips shouldn't be affected.