Transparant background

Hi, I thank the forum for helping my last topic, but now about same topic I thought if there are a shortcut.

Topic is making a transparant background around the lines and arears I painted and drawn. Untill now I simply used the eraser tool to make a checker pattern being a transparant area, when I select all and copy it after I saved the drawing in Paint net native format. --- Then opening a new drawing and creating a new layer, I can paste the saved into the new drawing and have the erased arears transparant-- great.

But isn't there a better way ; I image that I could use the fill tool to replace a color with transparant. -- I tried but I can't color pick transparant and fill with that. So how can I do something simular?

Is there a way to state that a partivular color simulate transparant ?

Hope my question are clear. English is not my native language.

Hello perejler,

You can fill using a transparent colour.

Either:
1. Select the lowest, left hand side, color swatch in the default color palette.

or

2. In the Color window, click the button that says 'More' and move the slider that says 'Transparency - Alpha' to zero.

I hope that is what you meant.
( I cannot be 100% certain this is correct in Pdn 4 - but it will be close  ;)  )

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

When the fill tool is selected - look to the left of the tolerance control in the top menu - change the blending mode to 'Overwrite'. The icon looks like an empty flask. :BlendingOverwrite:

When Pdn is open, press the F1 button on your keyboard.
Look at Tools Window/Fill Tools/Paint Bucket Tool.
Here:http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/PaintBucket.html

The information is for Pdn 3.5.11 but is mostly still relevant.
 (It is being updated for Pdn4 currently)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Yes, -- the fill can be transparant, but then all is overwritten . Not as how you flood with a color that stop fill at the edges at another color than the background that is to be replaced by transparant. The transparant simply flood the whole page, removing the entities that should stand.   I checked all flood options and some replace the transparant with white.

I first set opasiti to zero, transparant on and blending mode overwrite.  Left button is then transparant fill and right button white.  But transparant don't stop at edges as fill othervise do. 

I'm not using Pdn4, so cannot test if the fill tool is working correctly. Perhaps someone else could help perejler?

You could try using the magic wand to select the area then pressing the 'Delete' key.

Or, if you just need to replace white with transparent, you could use the 'Grim color reaper plugin'.
http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=15595
Or my 'Recolour choice' plugin (In my pack - link in sig).

• Upvote 1

PdnForumSig2.jpg

You could try using the magic wand to select the area then pressing the 'Delete' key.

Want fully transparent areas? Go for this!

TIP: You could save yourself a lot of time and effort by drawing directly onto a transparent layer. If you need a background color to work against, create and fill another layer. Move it lower in the stack (i.e. the Layers Window) than the layer you're drawing on.

Remember: When working with multiple layers, the one that is active (blue highlight in the Layers Window) is the one the editing is affecting.

Thank's for all the input,  Im'e sure the trick will uncover. But to make clear what I ask, it is using transparant as a color.  Like when you use Fill tool on a background and only the background get the fill color, the rest in other color than the background will stand. By the advises untill now I came a few steps further ; Fill do fill transparant, but that cover the intire drawing everything are replaced with a compleatly emty drawing and that was not the idea. 

See, I been spending a lot of time using the eraser tool to erase just to the edges of what I want to paste into a new layer on another drawing. That work, but take a lot of time.  --- Ithen I wondered if I could fill a new color onto the background, why not do the same with transparant, as pointed out, transparity can be set to zero. But that don't work as expected. At best it fill the intire drrawing with transparant.

From my point of view it would be the perfect tool, becaurse very often I need to paste a figure prepared for this, into another drawing. 

Activate the layer you want to be transparent. Press Ctrl and A to select all the layer. Press the delete key. Presto! A transparent layer! :)