Bling Text

Pixey

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Bevel Selection

AA's Assistant

Sarkuts Yellow Gold - found at the bottom of his tutorial.

Gradient Mapping

Metalize

Emboss - which I think is standard now with v4.

Font used is:  Frankenstein (can be found on fontzone.net)

Tip: :Warning:   Remember to save your work frequently in case of a crash.

1.  Begin with a canvas of 800 x 400 and fill with black.

2.  New Layer - with color FFD800 and size #192 type your text.  Align centre & Gaussian Blur at default.

3.  Holding down Shift select just outside of the text with the Magic Wand :MagicWandTool:  - then Ctrl and Invert selection and make a New Layer.  Then go to Effects - Stylize and

Emboss and change the layer mode to Overlay.

ne7lslW.png

4.  Go back to layer 2 – which should still be selected and go to Effects – Selection - Bevel Selection at default.

sPV6Lh3.png

5.  Now you must deselect!

6.  Use the Magic Wand with shift held down to select directly on the yellow text on layer 2.  Play with the Hardness/Tolerance in the top tool bar until you get a nice

selection inside of the text – about 20.

7.  Make a New Layer and use the Paint bucket :PaintBucket:  to fill the inside selection with a light grey color # 808080. Deselect and Gaussian Blur at #4.

ynxcRcq.png

8.  Select the same layer again with the magic wand, invert and add Noise at an intensity of #60.

With it still ‘selected’ go to - Adjustment – Black & white and then Effects – Object and use AA’s Assistant at default.

9.  Duplicate the layer and change the mode to Negation.  Deselect. 

:Warning:   Remember to ‘save’ your work periodically.

QGQ1FMT.png

10.  Go to the text layer 2 and use – Color – Metalize at default and repeat one more time.  Use AA’s Assistant twice.

Ab6NAeb.png

11.  Go to – Adjustments – Gradient Mapping and make sure both the boxes are checked.

L3frdXC.png

12.  Finally play with the Curves Plugin and then the Brightness and Contrast of about 13 and 2.  Or as to your liking.

mw0KXJN.png

13.  Duplicate the last layer for more intensity and also you can play with the layer modes on the two layer # 4’s,  as well to change the color of the inside of the text.

14.  Finally save your work in PDN first, then Flatten and save in .png.

Hint:  To add depth to the text use Effects – Object – Trail.

11FuITq.png

Creative Commons License

• Upvote 6

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Blingkin(oh dear!) good tutorial Pixey. Well laid out , well explained and easy to follow - a real necessity for a numpty like me! ;)

Hear is my effort (forgot to add the Trail effect but it`s still OK) -

Sparkle.png

Edited by Goonfella
  • Upvote 2

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

@Johnny'sdream - look forward to seeing your result :) .  Thanks for stopping by.

@Numpty Gooney :D ...... wow!  What a great result and thanks so much for the kind works.  I actually forgot to add the sparkles, like you did - Duh :/ !

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 years later...

<3Dear @Pixey!

This is very interesting tutorial. :trophy: I hope I did everything right. Thank you so much for your effort.  :cake: :coffee:

21-02-2017.png

Edited by Seerose
  • Upvote 3

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Great result @mackenzieh it looks simply perfect B).  Excellent work :star:.

@Seerose Fantastic piece here - I like the way you added some trail to it.  Well done you too :star:.

I'd forgotten about this tutorial :kitteh: I think I'll have a go at it myself :D.

30b8T8B.gif

My version.. I've used Artistic -> Sponge... instead of Noise for the silver look and changed/simplified some other steps too.

gold.jpg

The second one shows a combination of Sponge, Bevel Object of the resulting two tones in alternate directions and Noise. After flattening Star Glow was added like in the first one.

gold2.jpg

Edited by IRON67
  • Upvote 5

My Goodness @IRON67 This is what I call "thinking outside of the box" - as @Ash was fond of saying ;).  Very nice results indeed and the 2nd one is super-dooper :D.

You did really good :star: and thanks for doing the tutorial :).

30b8T8B.gif

I thought I'd give it a go. Wasn't really aware of this tutorial, @Pixey.

@IRON67's use of  @ReMake's Sponge Effect is a great idea!  I tend to use Grain a lot, but Sponge gives the effect of actual 'gems' in the letters.

Great tut, Pixey!  <3

bling.png

Give a rep when I'm restocked.

Edited by lynxster4
re-hosted image
  • Upvote 4

Oooooo - so pretty @lynxster4 and what a good idea using the sponge plugin - it does give it a 3D finish.  Very sparkly too :star:.

30b8T8B.gif

• 1 year later...

I'd like to know why the embossed layer should be set to Overlay. The whole text there is pure grey so it'll just be completely transparent.

Big McThankies From McSpankies!

sakana sig resized.png

@Sakana Oji  It's required as other layers, as you continue through the tutorial, will have the Mode Negation, so at the end of the day the result is better.

30b8T8B.gif

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, welshblue said:

what font is it ?

heheheh... after spending a lot of time looking for the font, I gave up and used a logo image instead. It's a trick I used often in my PES modding days. I found a good quality Cartier logo of 2000 px wide.

My first instinct for this tutorial was to go for "Tiffany & Co image or even Zwarovski. I discarded both because they are too wide to be ale to show any detail and keep within forum image size limits.

Xkds4Lh.png

I should have clarified: I gave up looking for a FREE font. 😁

That one was easy to find. The price-tag was hard to swallow.

Xkds4Lh.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2014 at 11:08 PM, Goonfella said:

Sparkle.png

How do you do this Sparkle Effect, especially so accurate? I´ve tried "Sparkles Effect Plugin" and "Star Glow" by MadJik and "TR´s Star Filter", but all these didn´t work for me? :( @Goonfella

Edited by Papipap

• 3 weeks later...

@Djisves! ❤️

Wow! Very good result. 

Thank you for sharing with us. :coffee: :cake:

• Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 3 months later...

You mean the embossed layer, which so far has just been solid grey ever time I tried?

EDIT: BTW I'm back on the forum, I just made a new account because I couldn't remember to password for my old one.

Edited by Sakana Oji II