Need specifics about app in get paint

Helloo friends, I wrote to this forum about a month ago concerning a problem I am having with color in my father's pen& ink art  but I dont think I was more specific about the issue and think I wasnt given specific instructions and steps to deal with the problems or maybe I didnt understand the language either... Nonetheless, the problem is this.. It seems when we digitize the artwork and do a print of the image files the black color in the artwork gets more black and darker.. The color of his lines are blackish gray but they come out as a darker black color..The subtlety of his work gets compromised. Here is his website www.artofac.com.. I have also provided a file which shows his art and the problem I am dealing with ... What I am asking for is a detailed information maybe on what is occuring and even more important what exact steps I need to take to deal with it. I am not computer illiterate but I m not always familiar with the terminology used to describe things in computer software. So with that in mind I need specific details and steps I should take to deal with this issue. I thank those who took the time earlier to write to me and if you could come back and write to me and give me more details I would be extremely grateful. Thank you.. Mark Lovett 

Hi Mark. Without seeing the image I'm guessing that you need to try desaturating it.

Open the image with paint.net then go to Adjustments > Brightness & Contrast. Use the sliders to reduce the intensity of the lines.

Ah.  I didn't realize you had colors.  I assumed you were working with a line drawing.

In this case you can try the Conditional Hue & Saturation plugin.  This allows you to modify a color range (which you specify via the controls).

mini-tutorial: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21134-how-can-i-create-a-shape-and-recolor-it/?p=348884