Sign in to follow this  
appleyard46

"Windows 7 SP1 Or Newer Is Required" error

Hello all,

I checked the forum for this problem and couldn't find anyone who had the same issue. So I'm posting here. 

I love the software, and I used to use it all the time. Then, my hard drive crashed :( I got a new one and I'm restoring all my old software, but I keep getting the error message listed in the title of this post. I am fairly certain I have the right version of Windows 7 on my computer to download this software (I'm not sure how many different versions of Windows 7 there are), but I'm not even sure how to check.

Please help!

If you have no idea about your Windows edition then

Open Start menu and click control panel.

Click System and Security

Click System

Or just open a Windows File Explorer window and enter the path:

Control Panel\System and Security\System

I have the exact same error, but i know my system is corrupted, i don't know how, but it just don't return that it is win7 sp1 (32bit), but it is and everything works couple of years now and the only problem i have is when some software installer tries to detect my windows version it gets wrong version.

I have tried everything to fix this, but it just won't fix i don't want also to reinstall windows because it is working perfectly and i have some decent workspace configured.

So can someone help me, i was trying to extract the installer, but no luck, can i force it somehow to bypass the OS check? Or maybe someone can provide me with a zip version of the latest paint .net?

Please help, i would really want to use the latest version, but won't reinstall windows to make it happen, especially when it is working without a problem and i have to many software installed and configured.

Here is a little proof how it looks

McdF01D.png

Edited by tomtom99

Did you read this from the link two above yours?

What are you using to open the ZIP file that you downloaded from the website?

I just figured out an issue with someone who e-mailed me who was using WinZip 12.0, which had Windows Vista compatibility settings applied to it. This was then inherited by the Paint.NET installer that was launched from WinZip, and it detected the wrong OS version. "Windows 7 SP1 is required" ... but he certainly had Windows 7 SP1 installed!

For now, try extracting the EXE from the ZIP and running it from there, instead of double-clicking the EXE from within the ZIP program. I should also be able to fix this so it doesn't require head scratching and psychic guessing in the future (oh the joy of manifests)

Or maybe someone can provide me with a zip version of the latest paint .net?

Get it from the paint.net website: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Yes, but it doesn't concern me, did you actually read what problem i have or just automatically quoted something that can't possibly help?

By zip i meant unpacked paint .net without installer, otherwise it won't work unless i can bypass OS check.

Yes, but it doesn't concern me, did you actually read what problem I have or just automatically quoted something that can't possibly help?

It was a valid possible solution. I read what you posted and I am trying to help, so drop the attitude.

By zip i meant unpacked paint .net without installer...

You asked for a zip and I provided a link. These are two entirely different things surely ;)

Drop the attitude? Be honest, you didn't even read what's my problem, so i can't even remotely understand why was this a possible solution, wasn't my description very clear about what is the problem? You just treating people like morons, posting the first generic solution, even when someone like me precisely depict what is the problem and that it is indeed a corrupted win 7 sp1 version number. Maybe you should first drop the attitude?

Everyone on the Internet knows that a zip mean unpacked files without installer, not my fault that paint.net is distributed as a zipped install exe.

You asked for a zip and I provided a link.

So yeah, still no valid solution and that great attitude of yours...

I have a copy of installed unpacked paint.net from my friend pc and it still does not run, this is insane, maybe it is the problem that my friend has 64 bit i have 32bit, but i was thinking it is .net, so maybe both x32 and x64 files in the same dir, but i guess not.

This is insane that i can't run it because it check my windows, it should be as portable as possible.

Can someone provide me with packed install dir for 32 bit win sp1, if it is against forum rules, please send me a pm, it is the only possibility for me to use it.

...the problem and that it is indeed a corrupted win 7 sp1 version number.

So fix that and stop moaning that paint.net won't install on your broken system.

Everyone on the Internet knows that a zip mean unpacked files without installer

That's by far the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. Seriously. Where do you get your information?

not my fault that paint.net is distributed as a zipped install exe.

That's how everyone else downloads and installs it.

So yeah, still no valid solution and that great attitude of yours...

Fix your broken installation of windows. I bet paint.net will install easily.