Meaning of Zoom Value

midora

I like to add the possibility to change the meaning of the zoom value (to get a better WYSIWYG).

For this the application must be able to get a calibrated dpi value of the screen (or even better of each monitor).

What do you think, will a normal user be able to understand what he should do?

MeaningOfZoomValue.jpg

Or is the dialog too techy and needs more explanation in the dialog?

Maybe an additional remark:

I do not expect that Paint.NET is per-monitor dpi-aware because this API extension has been introduced in Windows 8.1. But getting more and more high resolution screens means that people are working in mixed environments (lets say a highresolution laptop and a normal resolution external monitor). So it may make sense to support this feature.

midoras signature.gif

I think that you should give them a screen to printer scale rather than introducing another.

"Your Screen is set to: ppi" (fixed size)
"Printer Resolution: dpi" (configurable size)
"Approximate print size is: Y / X x 100 % (% of Screen size @ 100% scale)

I think that you should give them a screen to printer scale rather than introducing another.

The problem is that you can not ask a screen for its real dpi value just for a logical one. So a correction factor will not work.

I.e. my laptop has a real value of 127 dpi and the external one 94 dpi. But both are telling 96 dpi. And the user can change this 96 to anything. The logical value is used to scale the ui elements.

BTW: I know just one application which allows to get a WYSIWYG effect. It's Adobe Reader. There is

Preferences->Page Display->Resolution->Custom resolution: xxx dpi.

midoras signature.gif