Help with Layerin

I can't figure out to get the layers to show up. How excatly is this done? I need step by step instructions, and please forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place!!!!

Is it possible to copy one picture from another and paste it? Or is that the layering? I'm trying to make something for a friend of mine, and the program I used to have I just copied and pasted, but apparently that can't be done here....

I appreciate any help, and thank you in advance!!

"the program I used to have I just copied and pasted, but apparently that can't be done here.... "

I think perhaps what you were previously using is object layering. Basically, if you paste an image into a scene, it becomes a new layer, and you can click on it to move, rotate, etc. Paint.NET uses more of a canvas layering approach. Think of it as transparency slides stacked on top of one another. PDN doesn't automatically create a new layer for a pasted image, although if you use ctrl+shift+v instead of ctrl+v to paste, it will paste the object into a new layer.

Lawless%20government%20sig.png