How to Install Plugins ×

Gears - released 22/08/2014

Excellent start Goonfella! - that's exactly the use I had in mind.

You should find the 'involute' tooth shape meshes with other gearwheels more easily than the other shapes.
All shapes should be ok to line up together (if the tooth size is the same), but involute requires the least clearance gap.
I did increase the slider accuracy but you will still need a steady hand to line them up perfectly! (the offset angle should help too)

Good luck and thanks for posting the image. ;)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Well here is the finished image. Texturing has never been my strong point and I think it shows with the metal finish of the gears. I just could not get a satisfactory metallic finish. The rest of the clock I am quite happy with. Thanks Red for such a superb plugin. ;)

Clockworks.jpg

• Upvote 8

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Thanks Red/Skullbonz. I've just noticed something though. The large gears top and bottom should be behind the rim of the clock,not in front. I've still got the PDN file so I'll see about sorting this out. Details,details.

On second thoughts , after trying that I have decided it looks better as at is. :)

Edited by Goonfella

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

My apologies to the 67 people who have downloaded the first version. Please can you replace it with the updated version. :roll:

Technical stuff:

I managed to crash the plugin with an out of memory exception and after investigating realised I had forgotton to 'Dispose' of a 'Brush'.

Sheer mistake, sorry!

New version disposes the brush correctly. ( Don't know why I overlooked the brush - I disposed the pen and the Path ok).

• Upvote 2

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Hi Goonfella,
... and those aren't straight forward bevel gears either - curved teeth to spread the load - clever engineers!.

I thought about making a seperate plugin for a side view of simple bevel gears but to show bevel or crown and pinion gears like that would require including perspective. That would be really tricky on the maths side and mean loads more controls too. So probably beyond me.

I may try a simple side view of bevel gears at some point and a screwthread for worm gears could be useful too. (but no promises) ;)

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Wow, Red ochre, this is an amazing plugin, you can get almost all shapes/templates of gears,

And Goonfella, that image of the clock is awesome,

I had a quick go on your question, regarding the beveled Gears, and I think TR's Strobe Motion plugin works well, but I am having some difficulties controlling the location of the 4 points in the plugins to get a smoother render.

After you got the twisted effect from the plugin, you can use this method to give it a conical shape.

Gears-worm_zpsbc010f06.png

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I cleaned it up a bit and added more gears, might be a little too busy though. Any way, thanks for this great plugin. I'm a real gearhead and this one suits me. I used to dragrace back in the day and built my share of motors. One of my favorite things were degreeing in the lobe centers on my race cams. So I like timing gears and such....

Clock2.gif

• Upvote 1

Plane_Sig2.gif

I cleaned it up a bit and added more gears, might be a little too busy though. Any way, thanks for this great plugin. I'm a real gearhead and this one suits me. I used to dragrace back in the day and built my share of motors. One of my favorite things were degreeing in the lobe centers on my race cams. So I like timing gears and such....

@racerx! You are so welcomed. Thanks and respect for hard work.  :)  :mtdew:  :pizza: 

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png