Canvas Resize, setting the default background

DaveArthur

Hi all, 

Can't figure this out, you used to be able to set the secondary color as the background so when you did a canvas resize it would match.

Now this has been changed, you can no longer color pick transparent? 

I don't know what's been 'improved' but it don't seem to make sense..

I resize images with transparent backgrounds and now get white in the resized portion, the eraser refuses to delete this and you have to select and delete to get rid???

I resize images with a white background and get transparent in the resized portion, which then has to be filled and yet the primary color are set to black and white?

I've search for the answer to this and cannot find.

The 'old' way of setting the secondary color as the background with the color picker was a lot easier.

Anybody got any ideas

Thanks

Dave

I have the same problem to a point.

The behavior is different from PDN 3.5.11.

I'm using too PDN 4.0.3.

Whatever is the second color, I get transparency border when I resize the canvas.

This thing seems quite logical if we think of the canvas as a layer that is always transparent from the beginning.

Edited by xod

yep I'm using 4.0.3.

Never before had a problem, before I upgraded I would set the secondary color to the desired background, then could easily do all the modification on the canvas size with ease, now either have to fill or select/cut each image.

But their don't seem to be any consistency if I resize the canvas on a transparent image I get white and transparent if the background is white, this looks more like a bug to me rather then the intended. 

You are talking about Menu->Image->Canvas Size... ? This works as expected here. The new image area will always be filled with the selected background color.

You may check if there is a difference if hardware acceleration is switched on or off.

And best is to provide an exact step by step description with as much details as possible but reduced to a simple example started from a just opened Paint.NET.

midoras signature.gif

ok, just tried with hardware acceleration on and still the same.

So step by step, open the application> load in a png image> select area which I require> copy then paste into new image (crtl+alt+v)> Image>Canvas Size adjust width to 90 px and OK

Image canvas resizes with transparent background, yet the original background is white, the colors are black and purple (primary and secondary) (I don't know why!) 

Even after playing round with the colors and setting them as black/white the result is the same on the canvas resize.

Yes, the border is transparent after resize canvas though I expected to be white.

EAo3e54.png

Ok, the above image was taken from the internet with Copy image and then Paste in to New Image in PDN. 
When I resize the canvas I get what you see above. The image was in clipboard.

If I save the image from internet to desktop as JPEG or PNG then I load from PDN and resize the canvas then the border is white.
Edited by xod

ok, just tried with hardware acceleration on and still the same.

So step by step, open the application> load in a png image> select area which I require> copy then paste into new image (crtl+alt+v)> Image>Canvas Size adjust width to 90 px and OK

Image canvas resizes with transparent background, yet the original background is white, the colors are black and purple (primary and secondary) (I don't know why!) 

Even after playing round with the colors and setting them as black/white the result is the same on the canvas resize.

OK, this way I can reproduce it. I'm pretty sure this has to be qualified as a bug.

Just to say if I'm switching back to the original image then the selected secondary color will be used as expected.

midoras signature.gif