Make a Movie Reel and Clapper Board

Pixey

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Movie Reel & Clapper Board Tutorial

IShxqvU.png

Plugins used for this tutorial are:

Kris Vandermotten’s Object Align & Drop Shadow

The main tools used will be:  ‘Object Align’ and ‘Ellipse Select’ using the ‘Make Bounding Rectangle’ seen at the bottom left of the canvas.

3sxiTgl.png

For most of the tutorial the gradient colors are:  DBDEE0 and 878A8C

Abbreviations:  GB = Gaussian Blur

Begin with a canvas size of 800 x 600 and make it transparent.  (Ctl A and Ctrl X)

Have your Ruler set to pixels on top of your canvas.

1.  With Ellipse Select, make a bounding rectangle circle of 486 x 486 and fill with a Linear Gradient.

GB and Object Align centre.

Add a Drop Shadow with black at default.

Drop shadow is only used on this layer, not on the following ones.

(You can uncheck the layers as you make each new circle if you like – to see better what you are doing). 

Tip:  Remember to deselect your circles when using GB and Align centre.

2.  New Layer -  Make another Ellipse as above size 466 x 466 and fill with Linear Gradient, but in the   

opposite direction than before.  Align Centre and Gaussian Blur at default.

3.  New Layer -  Make another circle 456 x 456 and use the Linear Gradient at a slant this time.

Align center and Gaussian Blur at default.

4.   New Layer -  Make another circle of 430 x 430 and use Linear Gradient any way you like.

Align centre and GB at default.

Check all the layers are back on (if you switched them off) and flatten down the layers and name it Drum or Reel.

kMCQCoR.png

Now to start to make the small indents.

5.  New Layer -  draw a circle size 141 x 141 and use Linear Gradient.  Centre it and GB.

6.  New Layer -  draw a circle 130 x 130 and use Linear Gradient in the opposite direction.

Centre and GB.  Merge the above layer with this layer and Duplicate x 4 times.

Number them 1 -5 from the bottom upwards. 

el47w3t.png

7.  Go to Layers – Rotate and Zoom – and use the following PAN co-ordinates on each layer.

Remember, from the bottom upwards and – most importantly – reset both of the PAN

settings back to 0.00 before adding co-ordinates to each one.

Layer 1:    -0.20

Layer 2:    -0.33

Layer 3:     0.32

Layer 4:    0.20       

Layer 5:    0.00

LcWW94y.png

Merge down the above 5 layers together.

8.  New Layer – Make a circle 120 x 120 Bucket Fill with Black.

Align centre and GB at default.  Duplicate x 4 times.  Use the same PAN settings as above. 

Remember to reset PAN co-ordinates each time to 0.00.

Merge down all the black circles together.

PO9MiCH.png

Now for the Film Reel Markings.

9.  New Layer – Use this layer to find the centre of the reel by drawing two lines.

With the Shift down, draw a line with Line/Curve & brush width #6

from the 400 line mark in the above toolbar and then another, horizontally, from 300 on the side bar.

Tip = Hold down the Shift Key to get a straight line.

Jsdjyrk.png

10.   New Layer - With the line/curve tool draw a line, with Rounded Ends, and brush width #8, from the         

centre (hold down Ctrl) to the edge of the inner Reel gradient line.

Do this 4 more times on new layers.

You can uncheck the guide line layer after making the first one, to see more clearly.

You should now have 5 lines on their own layers.  Number them from the bottom up.

tvi6JZ3.png

Once all 5 lines are in place, use the magic wand at a Tolerance of 30 on each layer line and make a Linear Gradient with colors as before. GB each one after you do linear gradient at default.

Delete the Guide Layer and Merge the 5 lines down.

WcBQaga.png

11.  Merge the Black holes, Grey Holes and lines down to the Big Drum.

Duplicate the final image of the Reel/Drum.  On the duplicate select the layer with the ‘Move Selected Pixels Tool’ and holding down the Shift Key, resize it to a ‘bounding rectangle size of 189 x 214. 

Object Align – centre both.

Merge down together.

vGJQsef.png

Uncheck the Reel Layer whilst we make the Clapper Board.

12.  New Layer – Draw a rectangle approx 469 x 362 with the Rectangle Select Tool.

Add a Linear Gradient with colors 3A3A3A and 9C9FA1.

Add a Drop Shadow at default with Black.

Align centre.                                                              

13.  New Layer – Make another rectangle, same width but less height, of approx 469 x 106.

Add a linear gradient, the opposite way of the previous layer.

0sm785i.png

We will be using ‘Shapes’ in the next step.

XRIP3Ik.png

14.  New Layer - Tools – Shapes – choose Parallelogram and “Draw Filled Shape” mode, in the color white, and make a parallelogram over the left edge of the smaller rectangle to half way down – approx 28 x 52.                                 

zUtjIcW.png

15.  Duplicate your layer.

16.  On the duplicate go to Layers – Rotate & Zoom and check tiling box.  Make sure everything is set to 0.00

Apply PAN:  0.12 and 0.00

Merge the two layers down and duplicate again.

Apply PAN (reset):  0.36 and 0.00

Merge down and duplicate again.

Apply PAN (reset):  0.48 and 0.00 

17.  Merge the two layers and erase the last parallelogram that’s left outside the rectangle.

DsThfaa.png

Duplicate the completed parallelogram layer and ‘Flip Vertically’.

Using Rotate and Zoom Apply PAN(reset):  0.00 and play with the 2nd  Pan setting to line up

parallelograms with the top layer. 

FVQBnzM.png

Optional:  Here you could Flip the lines horizontally if you wished to do so.

1p2CS1q.png

Now to make The Pivot

18.  New Layer -  Make a Rounded rectangle with “Draw Shape Outline” at brush width #3

and draw it over the top, left-hand side of the board for an outline edge.

Make sure it’s a little ‘over’ the edge at the top for a good fit.

Now select this outline with the magic wand tool and make a New Layer.

Gradient fill with colors 3A3A3A & 9C9FA1.  Gaussian Blur at default.

Now move the Gradient Layer below the Outline Layer.

cTMG9Eq.png

19.  Make a New Layer on top of the outline layer for the rivits.

Draw a binding circle of 37 x 37 (anywhere on the canvas - zoom in to see better) and fill it with a Linear Gradient and colors 3A3A3A and CCCCCC.  Gaussian blur at default.

20.  New Layer – make another circle approx 30 x 30 and this time fill it with a Radial Gradient.     

Gaussian blur at default.

21.  Move the smaller one over the bigger one.

HhGQf2i.png

Merge the two circles and duplicate twice – so that you now have three.

Use the Move Selected Pixels tool to move each rivet into place over the Pivot.

Finally, merge the rivet layers, then continue to merge down until you just have two layers left, namely the Reel and the Clapper Board. Move the board below the reel and resize.  Also move the board accordingly.

You can then add a background of your own liking.

JL8YTR4.png

To make the Film Strip here is a tutorial by cjmcguinness:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12284-how-to-make-a-picture-filmstrip/

• Upvote 8

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Dear Pixey!  

Thank you so much for this tutorial. Up to this point has worked. From there I do not come on. How shall I go on? 

I have a problem with the curve tool. Please; can you help me? 8ro7yhja.gif

qwixm6wt.png

10.   New Layer - With the line/curve tool draw a line, with Rounded Ends, and brush width #8, from the         

centre (hold down Ctrl) to the edge of the inner Reel gradient line.

Do this 4 more times on new layers.

You can uncheck the guide line layer after making the first one, to see more clearly.

You should now have 5 lines on their own layers.  Number them from the bottom up.

Edited by Seerose

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Thanks so much @Red, cc4 Skully, DD & BBQ for your very kind comments :D .

@Seerose - I hope this helps you out ............... and it's so cool you are trying it out :)

NNTWVp5.png

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi, Pixey. You are great. The tutorial is also great. You're really skilled in it. It was nice to see new shapes tool in action.  :D   :bmw:

By the way Pixey,

Isn't it the very first tutorial on forum using paint.net v4.0 ? :/ 
Or Have I missed the first one.... :roll: ( I'm thinking.)

• Upvote 1

Rl7un0O.png

Thanks so much @Red, cc4 Skully, DD & BBQ for your very kind comments :D .

@Seerose - I hope this helps you out ............... and it's so cool you are trying it out :)

Dear Pixey!  <3  You are  always nice to me. Yes, I found it very helpful Many thanks for your hard work. 66qn4rum.gifBest regards. 

dzxnz27r.png

*  For filmstreifen I try next time.

Edited by Seerose
  • Upvote 2

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Many thanks @Gooney & @Pratyush :) .

@Seerose - WOW!  Das ist wunderbar :bmw:  What a wonderful result and thanks so much for trying it out - I'm so happy you did  :D .   

30b8T8B.gif

Here is my go. By using the Perspective effect I gave the clapper board a bit of thickness and I used rotate/zoom to adjust the film reels. To be more realistic I have used a series of images from my spinning fan gif for the film . You don`t really get a selection of different photos on a movie reel as it just would not work. I also separated the top part of the clapper to show it off a bit better.

I know it`s a superb tutorial but a couple of tips for making the reel and the methods I used - create all of your circles ( gradient & black ones) at the same time and arrange the layers accordingly - ie gradient layer 1, black layer 2, then gradient layer 3, black layer 4 and so on. This way you only have to go through the pan/reset process once because you can use the same settings for two layers at a time. It`s easier than creating the gradient circles, panning each one then creating the black circles and panning all over again. Then just merge the same types together and carry on to the next step.

Also at step 9 it is easier to make the film reel guides for the markings by using Madjik`s Polygones plugin with the Quantity of Edges set to 4 and the Starisation set to 2. The other settings can be left at default. As all the circles you have made have been Aligned Centre the plugin will match them as it renders the lines in the center. Simples.

Heck all this gabbing on and I still  have not posted the image! Here it is. I have called it Carry on Clapping( I know it says Creating on the board but I changed my mind at the last minute). Thanks for such a great tut Pixey  ;)  -

CarryonClapping.jpg

• Upvote 2

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Very, very nice result.  I'd call it Hollywoodesque!  You have been - as @Ash would say - "Thinking outside of the box"

free-happy-smileys-346.gif

Thanks too for the tips ;)

Edited by Pixey
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

Ohhh @Seerose - what a fantasitc ending - well done ......... music to my ears

violin-011.gif

I just love the pictures and you have one of my seagulls in there ;) .

30b8T8B.gif

• 7 months later...