Magic Wand Behavior/Settings in 4.0.3

Intermediate user here. I installed the 4.0.3 version. I use the magic wand to select & clear backgrounds from single-layer images. Now after I select an area with the magic wand & click delete, the background is filled with the current color on the color palette, and not the "checkboard" transparency I was used to in the old version of Paint.net. How do a change these tool settings for the magic wand to delete the selection, not fill it?

What you are describing actually doesn't sound right. My magic wand does not fill anything, regardless of what color I have as my primary or secondary colors.

Magic wand + delete key on my keyboard = deleted area.

Magic wand + backspace key = filled area with primary color.

Paint bucket tool = left click fills area with primary color, right click fills area with secondary color.

This is how paint.net 4.0.3 functions for me.

• 2 weeks later...

What you are describing actually doesn't sound right. My magic wand does not fill anything, regardless of what color I have as my primary or secondary colors.

Magic wand + delete key on my keyboard = deleted area.

Magic wand + backspace key = filled area with primary color.

Paint bucket tool = left click fills area with primary color, right click fills area with secondary color.

This is how paint.net 4.0.3 functions for me.

Thanks for the response. Strange: when I use the magic wand to delete a background on an image, the background is filled in with black color (rather than the "checkboard" transparency. I am going to try an uninstall/install to see if that remedies it.

You using the Backspace key or the Delete key following selection with the wand? Backspace fills the selection with the primary color ;)