Jump to content

Is there one word or term used to reference all of the little windows in Paint.NET?

Recommended Posts

Alright, so I'm just wondering, we have these windows in paint.net, the Tools Window, History Window, Layers Window, and the Colors Window. Is there one word that is used to represent all of the windows, instead of listing each one?

I could make up my own one word references, but if there is already a term that's used, I'd prefer to use that.


Thanks. :)


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I occasionally refer to these as 'child' windows because they are spawned by the parent application.

In the PDN documentation I'm sure I've seen them called the Utility windows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ Mottoman, thanks for the suggestion. I've thought maybe something like UI Windows or Work-space Windows are what they might be called.

But unfortunately, I haven't seen them be referred to by those words before, and the UI seems to include everything from the Menu bar to the Status bar, and the canvas. When looking at the Paint.NET Documentation, I don't see a word that defines just the four little windows.
@ Midora, I like it. It's very similar to what I have sometimes tried to call them myself, which is,  "The Floating Windows". But, I haven't seen others call them the floating windows, so I've been hesitant to call them that, as I'm not sure how familiar people would be with my unofficial use of words for them.
@ ERR, I see. Thanks. I've tried looking at the Paint.NET documentation a bit, and I haven't come across a term for the little windows yet, which has been leaving me at a loss for what to call them without listing each one or using my own unofficial terms.
Thank you for the answers everyone, communicating with others about paint.net's little windows should be easier now.

You see, one of the reasons I asked is because it's sometimes difficult to explain or refer to all four windows, and yet have people still understand or follow what I'm referring to.
Here are some examples of where or how I would want to reference the four little windows,

"Now, let me show you the little windows of Paint.NET." 

"You can move the little windows to any where you want."  

"At the top left of paint.net are icons for toggling the little windows on and off." 

These examples are vague, and the term "the little windows" is just a filler, and doesn't sound correct. True, I could probably use UI Windows or Work-space Windows, but if that's not the vocabulary that's used for Paint.NET, I don't want to confuse people. But, now I have several nice answers and other word choices from you guys! :)

Just out of curiosity, if for example, I were to make a paint.net video, what term would I use now?
Child windows
Utility windows
Floating panels
or if floating panels is good, maybe my own, Floating windows?

Also, since there is a new and up coming Paint.NET Documentation, what term or new lingo might be used there?

This may sound a little funny, but for me, the new documentation is as exciting as paint.net it's self!
Thanks again! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO they are windows and not panels. They have a title bar and everything.


PDN Docs:  First sentence on this page  http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WindowMenu.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I said 'Technically spoken'. This may not be what is right for the user.


A typical application window has bars and panels to collect elements of a specific logical group.

Panels and bars are docked inside of the application window but some applications allow you to change the dock position.

If an application allows you to undock a panel then it will become a floating panel with window elements like a mover or a close box.

This is where the expression floating panel comes from.


Panels are different from normal windows because they are sharing the state of the main window. Typically they do not allow to get the focus if they are clicked. This is different to modal or unmodal dialog windows.


Check the Paint.NET panels: The title bar and the close box share the active state with the main window. Means they are all active if the application is in the foreground and inactive in the background. The same is true for Paint.NET dialog windows which is a bug from my point of view or let's say not the standard Windows behaviour.


Paint.NET has the additional feature which allows to dock the floaters to a window border.


But if Rick used the expression 'Floating utitlity windows' already then I would stay with it.

midoras signature.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...